🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Canadian living in the US
Page options
ashleymccartney
Community Member

Canadian living in the US

Hello! I'm a Canadian currently living in the US for grad school. I keep getting "US only" jobs when I search, I believe because my address is in the US. But if I'm understanding it correctly, "US only" means US citizens who are legally able to work in the US? This, obviously, is not the case for me. How do I find jobs that I could do as a Canadian citizen? Thank you!!

3 REPLIES 3
joanbonjoc
Community Member

Hi Ashley,

The "U.S. Only" opportunties are intended for all freelancers who reside in the United States, regardless of their nationality. Hope this helps.

~ Jo-An

Untitled
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Ashley M wrote:

Hello! I'm a Canadian currently living in the US for grad school. I keep getting "US only" jobs when I search, I believe because my address is in the US. But if I'm understanding it correctly, "US only" means US citizens who are legally able to work in the US? This, obviously, is not the case for me. How do I find jobs that I could do as a Canadian citizen? Thank you!!

Probably in Canada 😉

Don't even try to get work if you don't have a working visa status - it sounds as if you don't - you risk a whole lot of complications in your life, that you surely must be aware of?

Martina P wrote:

Ashley M wrote:

Probably in Canada 😉

Don't even try to get work if you don't have a working visa status - it sounds as if you don't - you risk a whole lot of complications in your life, that you surely must be aware of?

This is a grey area. If I went to the States for a couple of weeks with my laptop and one of my clients wanted me to do some work, I would do it, regardless of my location. If a business person goes to the States from another country to attend a conference, but has to continue working as if they were still at home, they will do it. 

In fact, the OP's question has not been answered. She wanted to know why she was only getting US jobs in her feed. I imagine she would like to see a broader spectrum. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths