🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Canadian on a TN Visa in the US. How can I ge...
Page options
lindaganzini
Community Member

Canadian on a TN Visa in the US. How can I get work on Upwork?

I'm Canadian, living and working in the USA with a TN work Visa. How can I work on Upwork if I don't have a US drivers license or US passport to upload for approval? I should be able to get jobs worldwide while living here in the US with my visa. How can I get around uploading US documents? 

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

You can get a U.S. driver's license.

You can also use a wide variety of documents to demonstrate where you live currently.

You can use a Canadian passport as PART of your identity verification.

I think you are not aware of the wide variety of documents and methods Upwork allows for doing identity verification.

Thank you, Preston.

They only asked for US driver licence, passport or ID Card. They rejected my Canadian drivers licence so I'm assumng the same will apply to my Canadian passport, but I'lll give it another try, 

Cheers!

Hi Linda,

In order to verify their location, a freelancer needs to provide a state ID, driver's license, U.S. passport or greencard. Unfortunately, it's not possible to verify location without one of those documents but you can still have access to all the jobs in the marketplace that don't have U.S.-only requirement.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you for your reply. I did try applying to a non-US job, and I was still asked for a US ID or passport. Upwork will not accept my Canadian passport, even if applying for work out of Canada. It must have something to do with my address being in the US. I've given up as I don't see a way in, nor can I get in touch with any staff members of Upwork to assist me.

Thanks again,

Linda

Hi Linda,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you Aleksandar! 🙂

You might want to check your visa requirements, because I don't think that you're allowed to be self-employed on a TN visa.

All extra work goes into my Canadian account. I should be able to live anywhere in the world and work for Upwork, while sending funds to my Canadian account. Is this not correct? My TN visa client is only part time.

Hi Linda!

Did you happen to get anywhere with you above issues?

I am in the same boat and looking for some answers 

Cheers, 

Jill

Hi Jill,

No, they never replied, so I moved on.  Let me know if you get any info. 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths