🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Canadian unable to complete/submit Upwork W8B...
Page options
484260ce
Community Member

Canadian unable to complete/submit Upwork W8BEN tax form.

I am new to Upwork & received this error message when creating my profile; 'In compliance with Tax Law, we must add Canadian taxes (GST/HST) on Upwork fees unless you have provided a GST/HST number. Please click here to add your tax information and ensure your legal name on the W8BEN form matches your registered name on your tax ID. For more details, read our FAQs.' I have read through the FAQ's & also changed my inputs on the form, but no resolution. I do not have a GST or HST tax number. I'm in the process of working on my first Upwork contract and want to ensure this tax form does not delay my compensation. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Greg,

It looks like you were able to add your information in the W8BEN form. If you don't have a GST/HST, that's ok, you can still receive funds. Just keep in mind that since you haven't added this an extra fee will be charged from your earnings. You can learn more about this here.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AndreaG

Hi Greg,

It looks like you were able to add your information in the W8BEN form. If you don't have a GST/HST, that's ok, you can still receive funds. Just keep in mind that since you haven't added this an extra fee will be charged from your earnings. You can learn more about this here.

~Andrea
Upwork
484260ce
Community Member

Thank you. Much appreciated.
6eebea26
Community Member

Hi, I have the same issue. I have updated the number that I got when I registered as a freelancer but upwork does not accept. Please help and thank you!

Hi Ilgin,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths