🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Cancel project how to effect Success Score
Page options
fkao97
Community Member

Cancel project how to effect Success Score

Hi All,

I got a client which is pretty demanding seems to know it all and constantly said work should be done in certain time frame, and continue to repeat that.  However, the issue is, in order to do that work almist twice amount of time have been spent just to set up environment.  I am just worried that once I did deliver the work, he is going to find excuses not to pay.  So far no payment have been made, and the contract time is done.  I am thinking about canceling the project, and not even worried about the payment.  I am more worried as what it will do to my job score.  What's everyone's experience in this.  I can still finish the project, but I just don't see any good ending to the project.

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Frank K wrote:

Hi All,

I got a client which is pretty demanding seems to know it all and constantly said work should be done in certain time frame, and continue to repeat that.  However, the issue is, in order to do that work almist twice amount of time have been spent just to set up environment.  I am just worried that once I did deliver the work, he is going to find excuses not to pay.  So far no payment have been made, and the contract time is done.  I am thinking about canceling the project, and not even worried about the payment.  I am more worried as what it will do to my job score.  What's everyone's experience in this.  I can still finish the project, but I just don't see any good ending to the project.

In most cases, a "nothing paid" contract will count as negative and because you've only done a handful of contracts any one can have a massive effect.

If you can somehow get through this without it going wrong, from a JSS and profile point of view that would be a good idea.

(Not to the point of working for free or being abused, of course.)

kat303
Community Member

Frank K wrote:

Hi All,

-------------

Was the deadline mentioned BEFORE you accepted the contract? If it was, then you knew about it, and accepted it, now you need to stick to that timeline. Before accepting any contract both the client and you need to be on board as to what is expected and when. You should have all the necessary materials needed. All details and information should also be provided and answered. 

If as you say, the contract time is done, then I'm assuming by that statement that you didn't complete the job as required. 

If you close the contract, that would be a job with no money earned and a job with no money earned will have an affect on your JSS. If you continue with this job, since you haven't met the requirements, you will probably receive very negative feedback. So, the damage is already done. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths