🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Cancelled job
Page options
mssunshine001
Community Member

Cancelled job

I got hired today to do a job and completed and emailed the guy from this company my first project he requested and I got an email later explained upwork took the job down. It was no longer available. So my question is, will I get credit and get paid for this job?! I didn’t waste 2 hours of my time on this work. The guy sent me emails and text messages. I have proof of my work and emails I sent to this person.

18 REPLIES 18
petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer W wrote:
I got hired today to do a job and completed and emailed the guy from this company my first project he requested and I got an email later explained upwork took the job down. It was no longer available. 

It seems you were never actually hired and the job was a scam.

Jennifer W wrote:
 So my question is, will I get credit and get paid for this job?! 

Not if you weren't hired.

When you go to your My Jobs page, can you see a contract?

Jennifer W wrote:
I have proof of my work and emails I sent to this person.

Unless and until you are properly and officially hired on Upwork, you are not allowed to communicate with a prospective client in any way other than via Upwork.

It is also a violation of Upwork's terms of service to include any contact details in your proposals.

JoanneP

Hi Jennifer,

I checked your account, and I was not able to locate the contract for this job that you're referring to. The client will send you an offer, and you will have to accept that offer before it becomes an active contract. To ensure that you receive payment, you will need to have an active contract. You can find more useful information and advice on the freelancer resources we have compiled here to help you get started on Upwork. 

I would also like to confirm that Petra is right. All communications should remain on Upwork until a contract is established. I encourage you to read this announcement to learn more about information sharing and interviews. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out. We're here to help. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork

re: "I didn’t waste 2 hours of my time on this work"

You are correct. You did not waste time.

Although you will probably not get paid for the work, you have obtained something far more valuable: knowledge.

The guys contacting me are asking for my account information and I will not be giving them my personal banking information. 

emails sent to me-   **Edited for community guidelines**

I need help to report this PLEASE.

So I wrote the **Edited for community guidelines** who want to steal everything from people.  I'm sorry its not professional to say curse words however, my life won't be ruined by people being selfish.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Hi Jennifer,

I checked and can confirm that the client's account and the job post was reviewed and action taken according to our TOS. Unfortunately, we don't have any insight into or control over communication held outside of Upwork.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Jennifer W wrote:

So I wrote the **Edited for community guidelines** who want to steal everything from people.  I'm sorry its not professional to say curse words however, my life won't be ruined by people being selfish.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Jennifer,

The job was not cancelled by the client. Upwork has confirmed that. The client's account has probably been suspended for violating Upwork's Terms of Service. What you need to do, before accepting work or sending out proposals, is to read every single link on this help page and then some - and read Upwork's conditions for working on this site. This is where to start: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

mckenzelec
Community Member

Definately get in contact with **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Upwork should have insurance in place, and be able to go after any bad clients.

David M wrote:

Definately get in contact with **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Upwork should have insurance in place, and be able to go after any bad clients.

Upwork has a lot of safeguards in place, but they can't be effective when somebody does not use the platform as intended. For example, no work before hire. 

Hi,

I need help in turning this in, who do I connect with to get this investigated. I do not want to waste any time.  I am not giving any more of my time to people who clearly have the illest intentions for me.  I should have known it was too good to be true.  The guy contacted me through Upwork in messages, he must have gotten my phone number and email from my resume that was uploaded.  If you try to view the details for the job that was proposed it says that- "This job has been removed from Upwork, so we are no longer able to retrieve your proposal". 

So did the guy delete his post? OR did Upwork delete the post? Because he mentioned he did because he kept on getting leads for the job and he already "hired" me.  I just want to know if this is legit and if it is they will pay me through Upwork.  I will not ever give my personal information to anyone. 

I also see **Edited for community guidelines** who was the intital guy who contacted me suddenly does not currently have access to Upwork and will not receive messages until access is restored.

Here is my sign.  I believe....

Thanks for your help!

mssunshine001
Community Member

The gentleman I spoke to let me know that he cancelled the job because he
kept on getting applicants for the job. Is this true? He sent me another
task to do, which took me another 2 hours to do today. I don't want to not
do the work if I am going to be getting paid. However, I will not be
giving him or any other colleagues of his any more of my information. I
uploaded my banking info on Upwork but I will not be giving anymore
personal info to people I do not know. I tried looking this company up on
LinkedIn and there is no such page. It goes nowhere even with a link to
LinkedIn on their website. **Edited for community guidelines**The phone
number on this page is for the gentleman I spoke to. **Edited for community guidelines**

I WILL NOT BE GIVING ANY INFO TO THESE PEOPLE. BUT I NEED HELP. PLEASE. IS
THIS LEGIT?

Thank you,

Jennifer Williams

No, it isn't.

This is why we can't have nice things.

If you get hired on Upwork you will get notified through Upwork.  You are doing work for no purpose because you have not been hired on Upwork. If you did it on Upwork you would use their tracking app so that you will guarantee payment.

Jennifer:
I don't blame you for feeling frustrated.

If it makes you feel any better: What you experienced is very common for new freelancers to go through.

But once you gain a little more experience, two things happen:
a) you have the ability to recognize a scam like this within a second, so you don't waste any time on them.

b) scammers won't send you invitations at all; they know it is a waste of time to try to talk to experienced freelancers.

Jennifer W wrote:

The gentleman I spoke to let me know that he cancelled the job because he kept on getting applicants for the job. Is this true? He sent me another task to do, which took me another 2 hours to do today. I don't want to not do the work if I am going to be getting paid. 

You did two hours of work yesterday and you were told that it was a scam and that you definitely wouldn't be getting paid, because you hadn't been officially hired. Then you went ahead and did two more hours of work today? Why? And if the "client" told you that his job was removed because he didn't want any further applicants, that makes absolutely no difference. If his job was removed, then there's no way for him to hire you or pay you via Upwork, and if you accept a payment outside of Upwork, you'll be banned.

This isn't the last time that you'll be targetted by scammers, so please be aware that they use fake names and fake company names; even if you had looked them up on Linked In and they seemed legit, they probably weren't. Stop attaching your resume to your proposals if it contains your contact information (you shouldn't send resumes for freelancing positions anyway), do not agree to discuss projects off the platform until you're officially hired, and do not accept payments off the platform. If you follow the rules, it will be difficult to get scammed.

This was my first job! I had no idea how it worked. After the work was finished (which was cake work) I knew it was no good when they asked for my personal banking info and I went off the deep end. I haven’t accepted any money and have those scammers blocked. I also did not know that you don’t need to send resumes to people who are hiring you. Lessons learned. Thanks negative Nancy for uplifting my spirits. I don’t think upwork is the right place for me.

Jennifer W wrote:
This was my first job! I had no idea how it worked. After the work was finished (which was cake work) I knew it was no good when they asked for my personal banking info and I went off the deep end. I haven’t accepted any money and have those scammers blocked. I also did not know that you don’t need to send resumes to people who are hiring you. Lessons learned. Thanks negative Nancy for uplifting my spirits. I don’t think upwork is the right place for me.

It could have been worse. You could have accepted a fake check and be scammed out of 3K USD because you believed they were nice people buying office equipment for strangers on the internet .

It could have been better had you read everything about using the platform safely, or simply what rules you have to follow, and none of this would have happened.

But there is a profound misconception that you seem to have judging from the wording of your profile: this is not full-time employment, you should not expect to find that here.

But you are right, upwork is not for everybody, that's 100% true. 

Jennifer W wrote:

Negative Nancy's (aka Christine) job is not to lift your spirits. What she voluntarily assumes some responsibility for is helping newcomers like yourself understand what you've gotten into by signing onto the UW platform. To what she said, I would add that ignorance is no excuse. If you had no idea how UW contracting works, that's on you. If you didn't know that you UW profile obviates the need to send resumes to potential clients, that's on you. Do some homework. Read the masses of helpful information available in the Help & Support section of the site and in various threads in this forum, and educate yourself about how to use the platform. If you don't care to do that, then you're probably correct that UW is not for you. 

There is immense power in taking responsibility.

I can't control what other people do, but I can control what I do.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths