🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Cannot enter address on new account
Page options
nearmedesign
Community Member

Cannot enter address on new account

Hi, I just created my new account, verified the email, logged in, and the first page it takes me to is the Create Profile page.  I filled out the entire page, click submit, and get an error telling me that I have to fix one error before it will let me continue.  It says I need to fill out the field labled "street".  The thing is, I did...there is a text box above the word street that says "Start typing your address", which is where the street address went.  The other problem is, the "Street" field is grayed out so it won't let me type anything in it, so there's no way to proceed.  I tried clearing history, cache, different computers, phone, tablet, all of that, but the same problem.  Now when I go back, not only is the "Street" field grayed out, but also "City", "State", and "Zip".  "Country" field is also grayed out, but it has "United States" typed in it already, and that's fine.  I live in the US, so I don't know what the problem is.  It won't let me do anything until I complete this page.

Thank you

48 REPLIES 48
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Jason,

When you enter your address in the "Start typing your address" field, does it show in the drop down menu? You should be able to select it from the list and it will auto-fill the rest of the fields:

Screenshot_24.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

Yeah, the dropdown box appears and I select the address, but there is another blank textbox below that that is grayed out. I don't even know what you would type in that because I have the address in the field above.  It says "street" but the street address is in the field above.  Please see attachment.  There's nothing to even type in there, but the page is trying to force me to type something in there and won't let me pass until I do...but it's grayed out and won't let me type anything in there anyway.

I finally got it to go through.  Thank you

I selected my address from the drop down menu, used different browsers, checked and changed my setting, etc. I still keep getting the same error everyone else seems to be getting.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alex, 

I checked your account and it looks like you were able to fill-in your address already. Were you looking to change your address?

~ Avery
Upwork
20f74583
Community Member

Hi, I am having the same problem. I just signed up with Upwork and are filling out the address, but none of the address in the drop down menu are correct. So then I am not able to finish my profile. What do I do?

Hi Faraz,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to further assist you.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
kearns_stuart
Community Member

Hello Upwork Folks,

I am 99% done with my profile, but when I try and enter my street address so I can submit my profile everything hits the proverbial fan. When I start entering my address in the box it auto-completes and then tells me to "Please enter a complete address that includes a street number" (It is a complete address with a street number BTW). Then it prevents me from manually entering my address in the fields below. I've tried this in Googe Chrome and Opera with no luck.

This is becoming exceedingly frustrating. I feel like Clark Griswold standing at the locked gates of Wally World. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart

Stuart,

When you start entering your address into the "Start typing your address" field do you see you in the drop down menu? Once you select it from that drop down, it should auto-fill all the fields. Do you still see an error after the address is entered?

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria.

It seems that some, but not all addresses cause an error when you select them from the drop-down list. Unfortunately, mine seems to be one that causes an error. Aside from moving to a new house, what do you suggest?

Stuart 

Stuart, an agent will contact you directly via a support ticket for more details and will assist you with entering your address.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hello,

I am recieving the exact same problem. Could I get into contact with someone to help fix it?

Thank you. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Omar,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly to assist you with submitting your application for the review. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi, I am having the same problem. I just signed up with Upwork and are filling out the address, but none of the address in the drop down menu are correct. So then I am not able to finish my profile. What do I do?

Hi Vibeke Elisabeth,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

I have the same problem. My address does NOT appear in the dropdown menu. There is something weird with my street and this is a consistent problem. How can I enter my address manually? Please. Thank you.

Hi Pia,

I checked but could not replicate the issue you are experiencing. Could you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser? If the issue still persists please let us know so that we can assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
d85af81b
Community Member

Unfortunately, you can't replicate it because this is a true address non-existence issue with some database that is used for the post office. It is not correct and I've yet to figure out how to fix it. Obviously, the mail gets delivered, but I am unable to use other postal services because of this. It can only be manually entered and then verified as a true address. Please. There has to be a way to add my address or some other way to verify that I am a real person trying to work using Upwork. Thank you!

Hi Pia,

Thanks for following up. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you! will this be in my email?

Hi Pia,

Yes, you should receive an email notification when your ticket is updated.

Thansk!

~Andrea
Upwork
sheikgouse777
Community Member

brother i have same problem 

how u solved this CITY problem in profile update

Hi Sheik,

Please follow the steps Valeria shared in her comment above and follow up here with an update in case you need further assistance.

@Valeria K wrote:

Stuart,

When you start entering your address into the "Start typing your address" field do you see you in the drop down menu? Once you select it from that drop down, it should auto-fill all the fields. Do you still see an error after the address is entered?

~ Vladimir
Upwork

I have a different adrress from where I work and live.  I found out you HAVE to put the address of where your internet is because it is tracking your IP....even to your city level.  I assume, so you can't claim to be from somewhere you're not.

I am having the same problem. No drop down menu to enter 'City' and it does not allow manual entry of text.

Hi Rahul,

Sorry to hear about the issue that you're experiencing. Can you kindly try the following troubleshooting steps if you haven't done so already:

- Clear your regular browser's cache and cookies then try again

- Use a different browser

- Check your browser's security blocking settings of any if the Upwork pages are being blocked

- Temporarily turn off your computer's antivirus and firewall programs and try again

If none of these work, please get back with us with the screenshot of the error page you are getting so we can further diagnose the issue. Thanks for your cooperation.

- Aaron
Untitled

Trying to change my city , however the system keeps saying "Please select a city from the list.", even though I select Toronto from the list.

My country is set to Canada.

Hi Kamran,

Sorry to hear that inconvenience. Can you kindly try the following troubleshooting steps if you haven't done so already:

- Clear your regular browser's cache and cookies then try again

- Use a different browser

- Check your browser's security blocking settings of any if the Upwork pages are being blocked

- Temporarily turn off your computer's antivirus and firewall programs and try again

If none of these work, please get back with us with the screenshot of the error page you are getting so we can further diagnose the issue. Thanks for your cooperation.

- Aaron
Untitled

Same problem - this probem has existed for years.  Upwork cant get it right by now?

Trying to create profile but won't find my address - why not just use Zip code?  Google finds my address fine but upwork cant.   TO add I fillied out a 300 Plus word profile and now all thats lost.

This SERVICE SUX

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lena, 

I tried replicating your issue but was unable to do so. When you start typing in your address on the "Start typing your address" box, a drop-down of different addresses should populate as shown on the image below. Let us know if this is not the case for you. 

Honesuckle.png

~ Avery
Upwork
davegear
Community Member

I'm running into this issue after submitting the page with a blank Street... it now says "This field is required" in-between the 1st and 2nd "Street" fields (so I don't know which one it's referring to), but I'm unable to click in or type into the 1st field, and even after filling out the 2nd field, submitting gives me the same error.

This isn't making sense. I took a picture because a screenshot doesn't capture the cancel symbol from the mouse cursor.

I can probably hack the page but this is a counter-productive error that's making the experience sour (not to mention requiring my address and phone for an online freelance job site).

Hi David,

One of the members of the team will reach out to you directly via an email ticket to help assist with the issue you are experiencing with regard to entering your information. You'll be hearing from them very shortly.

~Nina
davegear
Community Member

OYKaSAk

I've worked on several websites building the JavaScript that can parse phone numbers... and most of the time I didn't even have to write the code, I used something already existing online. Upwork should be able to parse a phone number in the US, they're all the same format, or at least it should be able to strip all characters but numbers. This looks very amateurish.

burundukus
Community Member

It;s asking to select a city from drop down list, but in fact the field is not a drop down list.

Typing city name there doesn't help

Here is the solution: 

Type only first two letters and give the rest to Upwork.

solution.jpg 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Natalia, 

Please fill-in the Street Address field with the exact address. When you type-in the field, this should auto-populate with different addresses. When you click on one of the addresses, this will auto-populate the different fields in the address section. 

Please let me know if this isn't the case so that I can assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi, I have very similiar problem. I cant upload the profile, since there is probably a bug on the "City" field. Once I start typing, no menu appear to chose from. Thank you for the help.

-Lukas

Hi Lukas, 

Before I proceed, could you please fill-in all sections of the profile before trying to submit it for review? In the Address field, please type-in your address to see if it will auto-populate with different addresses. You should be able to choose your address from there, and when you click on it, the rest of the fields should auto-populate. 

Let me know if this doesn't resolve your issue. 

~ Avery
Upwork
pramlagan
Community Member

hello, i am not getting a drop down menu for city in "create a profile"

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths