cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get my first job!

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
11 of 14

To Will's advice, I would add: be selective about clients and projects. Avoid those who seem exclusively price-driven, aka bottom feeders. If they have any UW hiring history, what are they paying, for what kinds of work? Look for reasonably clear job descriptions/requirements. Many otherwise OK clients don't provide adequate detail, so don't hesitate to submit a proposal using a placeholder budget and ask the questions you need in order to provide a specific budget (and schedule). 

Jen B Member Since: Sep 19, 2018
12 of 14

I, too, have put out a number of proposals over the last few months, with no success.  I am now reading through the forum to get ideas of things to possibly do differently.  Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge.

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
13 of 14

Jen B wrote:

I, too, have put out a number of proposals over the last few months, with no success.  I am now reading through the forum to get ideas of things to possibly do differently.  Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge.

Take some relevant test and show them in your profile if you are happy with the result.

Personally I think a different picture might help. You look a it lost and that might not invite the clients to have a closer look or to give you a try.

Sue M Member Since: Jun 8, 2018
14 of 14

Hello Riyad, 

I am coming back to Upwork after an absence because of lack of business offers here, as well. I have changed my title to Virtual Assistant (my background is in office administration and management) and hoping to see more job opportunities with this change. 

My problem is that I have several past clients who were not from Upwork, but are willing to write a letter of recommendation for me and my services, but I can't find where they can do that here, without being an Upwork client. It seems if you are going to get work, you should at least show good reviews from anyone who has worked with you; otherwise, your past history is blank and it's going to be extremely tough to get any jobs. 

I wish you well and hope you can get some answers. I'd like them too. I'm hoping to figure out a way to get clients who appreciate my experience and skills, and are willing to pay respectively. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS