🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Challenge and a Question
Page options
2167f75b
Community Member

Challenge and a Question

Hello,
I'm new and ready to learn from the Pros and experienced. As I await for my first project, can any one take me as his or her student?
I will be grateful and such a person to take me is divinely sent.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hglewis
Community Member

Hello Joseph!

Welcome to Upwork!

Joseph A wrote:
Hello,
I'm new and ready to learn from the Pros and experienced. As I await for my first project, can any one take me as his or her student?

Rule #1. Here, you are no longer an employee! You are a BUSINESS OWNER providing Freelance services to your clients.

Rule #2. To understand the platform and get the most out of it, dig into Upwork's knowledge base. Leave no stone unturned. Business & Freelancer Resources | Upwork

Rule # 3. Never go against any of Upwork's terms; it could get you banned!

Rule #4. Under no circumstances give your clients less than 100% of your attention and effort, and treat them fairly, honestly, and report or flag a scammer or questionable job posts.

Rule #5. Do not perform any work for a client until the client has initiated a contract.

Rule #6. Never lower your rates!

Rule #7. Never give away any personal information to a client.

Rule #8. Have fun!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
hglewis
Community Member

Hello Joseph!

Welcome to Upwork!

Joseph A wrote:
Hello,

Rule #1. Here, you are no longer an employee! You are a BUSINESS OWNER providing Freelance services to your clients.

Rule #2. To understand the platform and get the most out of it, dig into Upwork's knowledge base. Leave no stone unturned. Business & Freelancer Resources | Upwork

Rule # 3. Never go against any of Upwork's terms; it could get you banned!

Rule #4. Under no circumstances give your clients less than 100% of your attention and effort, and treat them fairly, honestly, and report or flag a scammer or questionable job posts.

Rule #5. Do not perform any work for a client until the client has initiated a contract.

Rule #6. Never lower your rates!

Rule #7. Never give away any personal information to a client.

Rule #8. Have fun!

2167f75b
Community Member

Sorry for diverting the course of discuss but I am new and ready to learn from the experienced, can you offer any help?
I will be very much grateful if you do.
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Upwork, Joseph!

I checked your profile and can see that you are in the writing category. You may want to focus on your skills and experience by highlighting how you can help your potential client complete their project. Here's a great article that explains how a good title and overview will help you become successful on Upwork.

I would also suggest that you add portfolio samples to your profile so that potential clients have an idea if you are the freelancer that's fit for their job. You may check out these great articles here, and here to help you create a strong portfolio section on your profile. 

Since you are new, you may want to check out Vlad's post here to help you get started on Upwork. Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork
2167f75b
Community Member

Hello,
This is helpful. Thank you
hglewis
Community Member

Hello Joseph!

Joseph A wrote:
Hello,
This is helpful. Thank you

The main thing you will discover, your training will never end.

You will discover new ways to conduct business, build client relationships, and suffer losses like all of us in business. 

Remember this proverb: "A righteous person falls seven times, AND gets up again!"

Freelancing is a "Gotta Push Myself" race. When you stop, your business stops.

It all rests on your shoulders.

As far as teaching you what to do here, it's all in Upwork's knowledge base. 

Best of luck and I wish many years of blessing upon you and your family.

Peace, Brother!

2167f75b
Community Member

Hello Avery O.,
Your reply is very helpful. Thank you very much.
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "can any one take me as his or her student?"

Hire me at my posted hourly rate and you can be my student.

Many of us here will offer you the same opportunity.

(Or you can read our posts for free.)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths