🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Change Profile name ...
Page options
ange-elearn
Community Member

Change Profile name ...

Hi,

Two things.

1. My profile does not appear, not in 46 pages under a search for my field.

2. When I search my name hundreds of profiles with the same name come up.

How do I change my first name to an abbreviated version so it is unique.

Thnaks for any help.

3 REPLIES 3
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Angela, 

Results vary depending on the type of profile used to conduct the search since a number of factors are taken into account. Clients will always get a different search result for the same keyword/filters than freelancers using the same parameters. In addition, freelancers are regularly rotated in search results and the order the profiles are displayed in will change every couple of weeks.

As for updating your name, this can be done by going to your account's Contact Info page (Settings > Contact Info). Please know that this is subject for approval, and you may be requested to submit documents for verification. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you. Appreciate the response.

"change every couple of weeks.",  so no show in searches for me for now? Hum!

I saw the article about names. It is rather insane because so many people have the same first name and many have the same first letter of their surname. Most clients would balk at having to go through such a labor intensive search? Is there a quicker way to do this?

Hi Angela, 

If you have a client on Upwork who is trying to look for you in the marketplace so that they can hire you, you can send them your profile link and they should be able to access your profile from there (this is assuming you and the client are already in contact outside of Upwork). 

However, if you are referring to clients searching for freelancers in your job category, take note that it is very likely that clients will be using keywords instead of names when searching for freelancers for their project. As such, it's more important that your profile overview, profile title, and skills tag matches your potential clients' search keywords. So it would be best to put yourself in your potential clients' shoes and think of the keywords that they may use when searching for freelancers in your job category. You can use these keywords in your profile so that the algorithm matches you to your potential clients.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths