🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Change a Review
Page options
jredwards
Community Member

Change a Review

Hello, 

If there are any site moderators or officials that could help me with this issue I would appreciate greatly. 

My problem: 

How do I modify a review that I gave someone? I mistakenly gave them a bad review on the basis of a misunderstanding and now that I know that this was done in error. I would now like to either omit the review entirely or be able to edit it to write a new one. 

31 REPLIES 31
lenaellis
Community Member

In order to edit your feedback you will need to ask the other party to enable the feedback change. They can do this by clicking on your contract and next to feedback to you, there should be an option to enable change. Bare in mind that due to the double-blind feedback system, the option to enable changes will not be available until after they have left feedback for you, or until the 14-day feedback period closes, whichever comes first.

-Lena

Untitled

What if I gave a positive review and now want to change it? Is there a possibility to do t hat as well?

Hi Rahul,

You would be able to change your feedback if the requirements previously mentioned by Lena is followed.

1. If the other party enabled the feedback change. 

2. The feedback change is within the 14 day period.

The 14 day period starts the day the contract is closed, and ends on the 14th day, you won't be able to edit your feedback. You can check this help article for more information. 

~ Riri

Hi Riri, This workflow does not work for changing a positive review to a negative one. Why would a freelancer allow you to change your positive feedback to a negative one? There must be another way. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi Jason,

If you have any questions about your contract/feedback please send me a PM with more details along with the Contract ID. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I agree with Jason. I had a situation where the contractor I hired wouldn't release an important file until I gave him a "positive feedback". He even went as far as asking me to add comments to the review after I had already submitted it. I would actually like to give an honest review but I fear he wouldn't give me what was needed. Which was time crucial.

yitwail
Community Member

Deborah, that's extortion and not allowed on the site, and if you can document this behavior, you should report the freelancer to Upwork so they can suspend him permanently.

Hello Upwork support,

We are reputable web development firm in New York with over 20 years on the market. We use Upwork for years and have never experienced anything close we are dealing with today with the freelancer **edited for Community Guidelines**  we have hired to turn a web app into iOS and Android. It's a simple job.

**edited for Community Guidelines** has promised to accomplish this for $2000 fixed-fee. He told us his Upwork account got hacked shortly after we posted the $2,000 on the ascrow. He told us Upwork has put his account on hold and the only way to release it was us closing the contracts, releasing the money and giving him 5-star review. So we did only to learn from **edited for Community Guidelines** that another $2,000 was needed to continue. We agreed to pay that after the work was done. **edited for Community Guidelines** came back to us on 3/18/2020 yet again to ask for another $1,000 due to the tweaks that we have requested. That’s a raise of 150% within 2 weeks. Not bad, huh?!

This whole thing looks like an extortion to our attorney, and it seems we will have no other choice but to charge back on the credit card provided for the first $2,000 if the issue was not immediately resolved in our favor.

Contract details https://www.upwork.com/ab/applicants/1217855242112331776/hired  

Freelancer: https://www.upwork.com/ab/c/636095/contracts/23781438#milestones%2F20200218%2F20200318

Peter,

I have flagged your post so that a moderator can help you. It looks as if you were scammed. But it is not clear how the freelancer could have worked for you in the first place when their account seems to have been suspended. 

He might have made up the whole story with the account his hacking and
subsequent suspension. We had no way of verifying this. We've just trusted
him that this was the only way to unlock his account.

Why can't we edit or delete our own review?
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Peter,

Only Top Rated freelancers have the option to remove a feedback from their profile history. To learn more about this, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I think there's a confusion as to who we are. Web Studios is a client not a
freelancer. We gave the review to a freelancer. We would like to change or
delete it.

Hi Peter,

Sorry about the misunderstanding. Avery has already escalated your concern to the team and I see you are communicating with our Executive Escalations team via the ticket. They will continue assisting you directly and will go over the options available in this situation. They will also address your questions about the feedback system. 

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Okay, let's go through this, for the sake of anybody reading this...

(All the things I'm going to point out below are things that Peter already knows.)

In my comments below, I'm going to speak generally, offering some general tips about how to use Upwork effectively. I don't actually know anything about Peter's project, so I can't say anything about that. But I can react to his comments.

re: "[the freelancer] has promised to accomplish this for $2000 fixed-fee."

You set up a $2000 fixed-price fee for a freelancer you never worked with before and don't know?

Don't do that.

Start with a very small amount, and see if he actually delivers. Even if you're working with a freelancer you know well, don't set up a fixed-price contract for an amount that is larger than you are willing to lose. When you fund an escrow payment, it is not Upwork's intention that you ever get that money back. The user interface doesn't let you sinply click a button and get your money back if you don't feel like paying. You have to get permission from the freelancer in order to get a refund. What if the freelancer does no work, but doesn't feel like giving you a refund? Then you're out $2000, unless you go through the dispute and/or arbitration process. A real mess.

So to summarize: Don't do that.

re: "He told us his Upwork account got hacked shortly after we posted the $2,000 on the ascrow."

His "account was hacked"? First of all, you know his account wasn't really hacked, right? That's like a universal internet rule: When somebody is caught doing something naughty, and they say their account was hacked and they say they didn't really do it... They're not telling the truth.

But also: If a programmer IS telling the truth about her account being hacked? f you are going to hire a computer programmer to create an app for you - an app which presumably contains user information or payments or source code or SOMETHING valuable... do you want to go with a programmer whose account gets hacked as soon as you hire her? Isn't this kind of person supposed to be knowledgeable about computers and security, and be someone who doesn't let her account get hacked?

re: "He told us Upwork has put his account on hold and the only way to release it was us closing the contracts, releasing the money and giving him 5-star review."

Well, that's pretty manipulative. And wrong in so many ways. So many Upwork ToS violations packed into one sentence. Very obvious: Don't work with freelancers whose accounts have been put on hold. Don't participate in feedback manipulation. Don't release money as a result of threats or weird begging.

This is what I am wondering about:

Did this freelancer get hired, and deliver a bunch of work that the client reviewed and really liked and valued, and so the client was eager to have the freelancer continue working on the project, doing more work... providing more of this programming gold?

Or did the freelancer just repeatedly ask the client for more money, without actually delivering anything?

Or is what happened somewhere in between? The client hired a freelancer to do a project, and the freelancer actually ended up doing that project, but the final total cost was more than the client had originally planned?

No matter what actually happened, it appears that the client was not using the fixed-price contract model as intended.

None of which excuses any dishonesty or fraudulent behavior or unprofessional behavior on the part of the freelancer... And this may very well be a situation in which the freelancer needs to be sanctioned...

But from a "process evaluation perspective," this may not be a case of Upwork's processes not working, but more a situation in which its processes were not followed.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Peter, 

I'll go ahead and look into this and I'll get back to you once we have more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork
c68faa42
Community Member

I have a similar situation. Last summer I hired this patternmaker from Columbia who claimed she knew what she was doing but didn’t. I paid her over $700 and received patterns that were not up to par. When I went to go check her work with another patternmaker in LA she said her patterns were not standard and missing essential markings the. When she tried to convert the pattern to another format for the LA patternamker there was a problem and that didn’t fall through. I told the lady that I wanted a refund because this is not the standard I asked for but she said she she swore she is a professional with a company and that she was going to report me if I didn’t pay her for her work. So in the end, I ended up paying over $700 for patterns I can’t even use. I don’t know what to do. I mistakenly gave her a good review and would have loved to change it to an honest one. I also would have loved to get my money back.
I wish I could attach an example of her work.

Hi Osadayi,

I'm sorry to hear you had a negative experience hiring a freelancer on Upwork. We do have mechanisms for the client to request a refund on a fixed-price project if they aren't satisfied with the work they received. Upwork also offers Dispute assistance, but unfortunately since it's been so long since the contract was paid and closed, it will not be available in this case.

As for the feedback, once both parties leave feedback or 14 day passes since the end of the contract, it's not possible to update it unless the freelancer enables you to update your feedback. Here is more information about that. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

I recently hired a freelancer for an hourly paid contract. The job description was very clear, yet, after the freelancer 'finished his work' and used his allowed time, I found out that even if the whole time credit has been used, the freelancer's work wasn't at all what it was supposed to be.
Therefore, I tried to communicate with him, asking him what he did, and he lied to me about what he has done. I have proofs that his job didn't meet the requirements at all, and showed him, then asked him for a refund. Which he agreed to in the chat, on the condition that I give him 5 stars. I agreed to give him 4, and closed the contract. Now, he is ignoring both my messages and refund request. I'm pretty sure that the refund will not happen, but I would AT LEAST like to modify my review. And if I ask him to allow me, there is obviously no chance he accepts. Any solutions?

Hi Cyril,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. To be able to change the review, you will need to request for the freelancer to enable the option for you. I’ve also shared your concern with the team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you for your answer Joanne Marie. But as I've mentioned, since the freelancer lied to me, and is ignoring my messages and refund request, what are the odds that he allows me to change my review.
This is a very weird system implemented by Upwork, in my opinion. Anyway, thanks again for your answer and for transferring my request to the support.

Agreed, this is a very weird system.

There should be an option to ammend a review, and allow the freelancer to offer a rebuttal.

That way both sides of the story are laid out and the review reader can just for themselves.

My contract is in dispute. we have resolved issue, now he is saying is not finding any option to change feedback.

Please expalin where he can find change option, I had enabled to change feedback.

Hi Syed Mohammad,

If you have already enabled the option to change the feedback, the client should be able to access it from the contract you had. From there, they just need to look under feedback and click the option that says "Edit".

~ Joanne
Upwork

What if i wrote a bad review of a guy that has taken money from the account and he knows he owes me the money and "says" he'll return it if I change the review.  How do I KNOW he'll refund the money and how do I know if I change the review that I can't change it back again if he doesn't give me my money back.  Seems like the chicken or the egg.  Please help.

63f9eb3e
Community Member

I recently ended a time-sensitive 3d modeling project, gave a positive review, then realized the project still needed a minor adjustment. The freelancer attempted to extort me by charging twice as much for the adjustment as the original job. To add insult to injury, he told me if I didn’t like it, find another freelancer. I asked him to return the bonuses I paid him and send a copy of the model which he did. However, he refused to send me the Photoshop file because he said he never saved it which I find hard to believe. I've asked him 3 times to enable the feedback option without success. I definitely want to change my review to warn others about this freelancer’s sharp practice. Please advise

I recently ended a time-sensitive 3d modeling project, gave a positive review, and then realized the project still needed a minor adjustment. The freelancer attempted to extort me by charging twice as much for the adjustment as the original job. To add insult to injury, he told me if I didn’t like it, find another freelancer. I asked him to return the bonuses and send a copy of the model which he did. However, when I asked him to send me the Photoshop file, he refused because he said he never saved it which I find hard to believe. I’ve asked him 3 times without success to enable the change option so I change my review. I definitely want to warn other clients about this freelancer’s sharp practice. Please advise

Ian: Based on your description of events, the freelancer is not violating any Upwork rules.

If you have already asked for the opportunity to change feedback, and the freelancer has declined, then I advise you to move on. I do not believe that subsequent attempts will yield a different result.

At this point in time, the freelancer already sent bonus money back to you, and the freelancer already sent you the model file.

Your attempt to change feedback will not materially help you. You are only trying to do this in order to help other people. Your heart may be in the right place, but some times you need to put yourself first. There is no path forward for you to accomplish your goal.

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your experience with a freelancer. I understand your point on leaving updated feedback. Once the feedback is left on the contract, this can be changed only after the enable the feedback change option is clicked. This is at the user's discretion whether they would want to accept or decline the feedback change request. 

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork
f2b9234a
Community Member

Hi! is it possible to delete my public review? It was supposed to be private but I mistakenly posted it as public. I really don't want to hurt their chances of hiring others, or come across as vindictive or anything. So I'd really like to delete the review or rewrite it. 

Hi Feyisayo,

We certainly understand your concern. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will contact you soon on this page to assist.

In the meantime, you may consider approaching the client and discussing the option to change your public review instead. The client can enable your chance to change the feedback you left for them. You may have them review this help article to learn more about the process.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths