🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Change billing from hourly to fixed price bef...
Page options
box-kari
Community Member

Change billing from hourly to fixed price before being hired.

This is my first day on Upwork. I have not been hired by anybody yet. I simply changed my mind on how I would like to bill. It will not allow me to change from an hourly rate to a fixed price.
9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Kari B wrote:
This is my first day on Upwork. I have not been hired by anybody yet. I simply changed my mind on how I would like to bill. It will not allow me to change from an hourly rate to a fixed price.

Then simply don't apply for hourly contracts and stick to fixed rate ones, or apply for hourly contracts and explain that you don't wish to do hourly, just fixed rate.

There is no profile setting that means you can "switch" from hourly to fixed rate, most of us do both, it depends on the job and the client etc.

Regardless of what kind of jobs you do (hourly, fixed, or both) you still have an hourly rate on your profile.

ambroz
Community Member

Petra,

But sometimes I saw that was really happened.

Like, there was a job post as hourly contract, but after a while when I check if job is still actual or somebody is already hired, sometimes I saw there is one hired person with fixed-price contract ...

petra_r
Community Member

Ambrož B wrote:

Petra,

But sometimes I saw that was really happened.

Like, there was a job post as hourly contract, but after a while when I check if job is still actual or somebody is already hired, sometimes I saw there is one hired person with fixed-price contract ...

Please reread the original post carefully.

She does not have a contract. She wants to change her profile (somehow) from hourly to fixed rate.

Obvioulsy people can be hired fixed rate on contracts that resulted from hourly job posts or vice versa, that does not change the fact that a profile is neither one nor the other and can't be changed from one or the other.

It is also not possible to change how a job post we apply to is set. A client will either set it to hourly or fixed rate. As I mentioned in my original response, this is something that can be mentioned in the cover letter, but not changed from hourly to fixed or vice versa.

florydev
Community Member

Kari B wrote:

The hourly rate on your profile is just your base rate anyway.  If you go after an hourly job you can actually set the rate for each proposal.

My rate is my base rate and the only way I change it is if there is some aspect to the work that makes me want to bill a higher rate.  

petra_r
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

My rate is my base rate and the only way I change it is if there is some aspect to the work that makes me want to bill a higher rate.  

Does the value of an hour of your life vary?

Petra R wrote:

Mark F wrote:

The value of an hour of my life varies, depending on what I'm doing. I do a wide range of tasks, some worth more than others to the clients I target. For a particular project, I might charge more or less than my profile rate.

Phyllis G wrote:

Petra R wrote:

The value of an hour of my life varies, depending on what I'm doing. I do a wide range of tasks, some worth more than others to the clients I target. For a particular project, I might charge more or less than my profile rate.

I know people do it and I am not even saying they should not.. I've just never understood why 😉

I absolutely agree, Phyllis!
box-kari
Community Member

Many thanks to those of you who kindly responded! Have a great week!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths