cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing name and identity verification

Riris N Member Since: Jul 25, 2017
1 of 7

Hello! Please help me.

Yesterday due to my mistake for abbreviating my last name (which causes some problem because it doesn't match with the name in my bank account) I was asked by Upwork team for a video call but I couldn't do it due to technical and financial issues (for this I need to buy a new headphone with mic and a separate camera because my laptop camera doesn't work and I don't have enough money for that. I never did a video call before so I never got it fixed. Just thought it's not really necessary cause I can still work just fine).

Anyway, they kindly offered me another way to verify my identity which is to submit my photo ID and other documents (which I already prepared, scanned and ready to be sent), but then again my Upwork name is still the one with the abbreviation. So today I tried to change my Upwork name (so that when I send the documents, the name will match) but it says I need to wait for 48 hours.

I'm confused. Should I send my photo ID and other documents RIGHT NOW (even though my name change request is still under review), or wait for 48 hours until Upwork team asks me again to send the documents? Because I already prepared everything.

Please help me. I only need to change my Upwork name. I cannot submit any job proposal because of this. I'm willing to send any required documents if needed.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 7

Hi Riris,

Please do upload and submit your documents for review as soon as possible, in order to resolve the issue and resume using your account.

Riris N Member Since: Jul 25, 2017
3 of 7

Thank you, Vladimir.

Will do it soon after this.

Nena M Member Since: Feb 5, 2019
4 of 7

I have uploaded my Legal First Name_Surname green card and verified my account.
Then, after I double checked with your rules, I changed on my Upwork profile my Legal First Name to a Recognized Name Variation, since all my bank and social media accounts (LinkedIn, FB) and credits (Bowker, IMDb) are signed as Recognized Name Variation_Surname, and it was approved.
But now, when I tried to respond to an invitation to interview, I was requested to verify my account all over again, and ended up blocked. The message reads:
"You've reached the maximum number of tries to upload your ID. To verify your identity so that you can access all jobs, please please contact customer support."
And I cannnot find anywhere on the site how to contact with an agent.

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
5 of 7

Hi Nena,

We'll have one of our team members reach out to you directly via support ticket and assist y further with your verification process, thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Untitled
Yuliya K Member Since: Feb 18, 2019
6 of 7

I had to update my name to legal name and now see the change reflected on my account, however when trying to send a proposal, it greyed out the "send proposal" box showing the following error message:

"You've reached the maximum number of tries to upload your ID.
To verify your identity so that you can access all jobs, please contact customer support."

Can you please clarify asap so that I may resume using my account. Thank you.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
7 of 7

Hi Yuliya, 

I had to remove some of your threads as this is considered spamming, and is in violation of the Upwork Community Guidelines

I have merged your post yesterday to this thread and have asked the team to reach out to you to assist you with your location verification. 

ETA: Yuliya, the team has confirmed that your account is already closed. Please let us know if you need further assistance with your Upwork account.

-Avery
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS