Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing to a US based address

Active Member
Czyrus T Member Since: Sep 18, 2017
1 of 3

I recently moved to the US a couple of weeks ago, so I thought it would be a good idea to update the address I have on file.


The system won't let me go ahead and change my address until I fill up a W-9 form. Sure, why not?


So as I was filling it up, I noticed that it was asking my for either an SSN or EIN number.


I haven't been paid for any gigs here yet so I didn't see any reason to fill this up (also I don't have my SSN yet,  I still have to request one).


Is there any way to update my address without providng an SSN or EIN?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 3

You need permission to work here.


You can't sit with us.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
3 of 3

Hi Czyrus, 


If you are living in the U.S., you need to be either a permanent resident or a citizen to work as a freelancer on Upwork. Most other visa holders, including B-1, B-2, F-1, J-1, H-1, H1-B, H-4, or L-2 visas, are not eligible to work on Upwork. Please make sure that you have the necessary work visa to be able to continue working on the platform.