🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Charge for Onboarding Call?
Page options
aharper82
Community Member

Charge for Onboarding Call?

Hi!

Quick question. Is it normal or ethical to use the work diary during an onboarding call where a client and I are connecting for the first time to discuss expectations and tasks to be completed? 

Thanks for your help!

Amber

3 REPLIES 3
m_sharman
Community Member

Amber H wrote:

Hi!

Quick question. Is it normal or ethical to use the work diary during an onboarding call where a client and I are connecting for the first time to discuss expectations and tasks to be completed? 

Thanks for your help!

Amber

I would, it's training/time.  I typically don't charge for administrative back and forth (like scheduling, etc), but I do charge for my time when I'm being given background for the task. This is something I neglected to do early my freelancing projects and it was a mistake.

That said, this line is different for every freelancer and contract. The majority of my projects are less than 2k in earnings, so I do charge for everything. If I had a contract worth 10k, I would view things differently. 

A professional, ethical client won’t let you start working without making sure that you have a contract in place and are logging for the time you spend working on the project.

I often have clients who make sure that the contract has started even before our first call takes place. They expect to pay for such planning and orientation time.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Amber H wrote:

Hi!

Thanks for your help!

Amber

If you have a contract in place then, yes, it's normal to charge the client for any time spent talking to them about anything work related. If they are talking to you to assign a task and give you deadlines (and it's an ongoing hourly contract, like where you may get new tasks each week) yes, you should be tracking and charging. If it's a fixed price contract, it doesn't really matter about hours, but you should have made sure the scope and tasks were clear before accepting the contract. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths