cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheated on my first job

Thor H Member Since: Mar 10, 2017
1 of 18

On my first job I answered an ad and then the client sent me some documents to proofread, I did and sent it back via messages. It looks like we never entered into a contract like I thought would automatically happen. How can I get paid and failing that at least give a negative feedback and warn others about this client?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 18

Hi Thor,

Please communicate with your client and ask them to send you an offer for this job. Once you confirm the offer includes a Milestone funded for the agreed amount accept it, which will create a contract and your client will be able to release the payment for the work you completed.

Please make sure never to start working before you are officially hired on Upwork and have an active contract under your My Jobs tab. Also, only accept to get paid through Upwork and make sure your contracts are covered by Upwork Payment Protection. Please check these safety tips and freelancer resources before you continue submitting proposals.

Luiza B Member Since: Mar 9, 2017
3 of 18

Oh dear , how I feel for you. I have been there too and it wasn't my first job. It was on Elance before and it was for a translation that I stayed up all night for it. Although we all know we shouldn't start work before being awarded the job, this is such a competitive market, we are eager to land the job, so we do our best to prove we are worth being chosen. Is the same with clients wanting us to pass a test. Did two last month. The jobs are still open, haven't been awarded and not even an answer back as in how they have received and submitted our work for aproval or anything. I believe they split the files between the applicants and get the whole translation for free. It is a shot in following the advice given to you above in trying to convince the client in awarding the project by asking him for little pay but at least a good feedback ....it might work. Hope it works for you. Good luck

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 18
@Luiza B wrote:

> (...) Although we all know we shouldn't start work before being awarded the job, this is such a competitive market, we are eager to land the job, so we do our best to prove (...) 

(...) trying to convince the client in awarding the project by asking him for little pay but at least a good feedback 

Oh gosh. So you people really do this? You work for free, hoping that maybe, only maybe, the client will throw you some crumbs of bread?

You people have so little self-respect, so little self-confidence, you devaluate yourself instead of considering yourself as equals with clients. No wonder you've been taken advantage of and scammed.

It's a really sad thing to read.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Ewan C Member Since: Mar 10, 2017
5 of 18

I think the same thing has happened to me. Someone asked me to edit a photo for them and I replied within hours with the edited photo. I have been waiting for days for a reply back. Is there a way to report this or is it pretty much impossible since we never entered into a contract?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 18

Ewan and Thor:

First of all, know that everything will be okay!

Upwork gives newbies like yourselves a second chance. Do not take this personally.

Many, many newbies who do not read the instructions before bidding on jobs make the same mistakes that you have made.

It is really important that you do not try to get any money from these jobs. That would be a waste of your time. You were scammed by scammers who were posing as clients. They know what they are doing. If you retain a desire for that money, then you can not move forward. So let it go.

You can not leave feedback in the traditional sense, because you had no contract. But you may contact Customer Support and report the scammer "clients" who tricked you.

The most important thing is that you learn from your mistskes and don't make the same mistakes. Don't do free work. Don't work without an official Upwork contract.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 18

Hi Ewan and Drazen,

I'm sorry about your experience with the clients you had interviews with. Please note that you can report them but need to communicate directly in order to discuss payment for the work you completed, which would need to be processed through Upwork. Please refer to the information I shared with the OP and make sure to follow up on threads I linked in my post. Note that by following Upwork ToS you'll avoid these outcomes and get paid for your work.

Drazen V Member Since: Mar 10, 2017
8 of 18

Hi, Thor!

Unfortunately I had the same experience some 20 days ago with my first “job” here at Upwork. I was not aware of the fact that I must have a contract offered and now the so-called employer is gone.

However, for me the most important thing is how to respond here at Upwork – can I announce his name and does it make any difference at all? This is the most important issue here for Upwork community to answer.

Best,

Drazen

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 18

Drazen: No, you may not name clients or companies here when reporting incidents of fraudulent activity. The name of the "client" was fake, anyway. So naming names serves no purpose.

It is fine to describe your experience.

It is fine to report specific clients to Customer Service.

But you can't name them in the Forum.

Drazen V Member Since: Mar 10, 2017
10 of 18

Ok, good to know. Too bad about my (and everyone else's) well-deserved money but there will be new fair jobs. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS