Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chicken and Egg Situation

Highlighted
Rafif J Member Since: Oct 28, 2016
1 of 8

Greetings, Freelancers!

I'm new to Upwork and experiencing an issue that I'm sure many know well. I'm curious to learn how others resolved it.

The basic problem is that so many clients require 90 Upwork hours or Rising Star status. As a newbie, I have neither. The two contracts I've worked on were fixed-price efforts, and they apparently don't count toward Upwork hours.

Please, please, please tell me that I will not have to resort to writing academic papers for rich, lazy students, or blog posts at like half a cent per thousand words...

I'd appreciate any advice you can offer!

Many thanks,

Rafif

Community Guru
Melanie M Member Since: Jul 13, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

Don't sweat it.  I believe those are default options if a client does not state a preference.  I am new enough that I have no JSS, Rising Status or logged hours (all work is fixed rate), yet I get plenty of work.  I even have to turn down jobs.  Just write a great proposal and convince them you are the bee's knees.  Good luck!

3 of 8

Thanks!

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
4 of 8

Also don't write papers for lazy rich college students. Those posts are against ToS

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 8

Rafif,

Two of your jobs were given to you by someone who actually says publicly on Reddit , "I run a company that has helped hundreds of students cheat".  The sort of person that Upwork should have banned not suspended a long time ago.

You are destroying your street cred. by working for this sort of lowlife - don't do it. Fixed price or hourly makes no real difference to a potential rising talent badge. Have a look here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063228-Become-a-Rising-Talent

Do try and focus on applying for jobs that are ethical and that suit your particular skills. It does take time, but once you get traction, you will start to get regular work.

6 of 8

Nichola,

Thanks for your response and advice.

I've checked out the Rising Talent post, and will continue to submit proposals to other clients. It's a frustrating process but I I'm sure I'll get there.

Rafif

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
7 of 8

If I find the job is a perfect fit for my skill set, then I apply anyway!

I'm selective about the jobs to which I send proposals so I don't run into the "running low on connects" issue.

8 of 8

See, no wonder you're a guru - you're giving all good advice :-)

Yes, that's what I'm doing - applying to the posts that are in line with my background. I got a little enthusiastic at the beginning but still have enough connects to get me through till the next round.

Hopefully it just takes patience and perseverance. Oh, and I suppose, a good portfolio and resume. I've added what I could. Much of my past work has been client-proprietary, so I'm using things I've written for grad school and for publication.

Many thanks,

Rafif