🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Choosing a private profile
Page options
4815ed23
Community Member

Choosing a private profile

Can I  choose to keep my profile private if I am a free member? 

I understand that clients will be able to view my profile when I bid for jobs.

Also, would this put clients off or would it make no difference?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
robin_hyman
Community Member

John D wrote:

Can I  choose to keep my profile private if I am a free member? 

I understand that clients will be able to view my profile when I bid for jobs.

Also, would this put clients off or would it make no difference?

Thanks.

Yes you can and it wouldn't make a difference to clients.  It just means you won't come up in search and cannot receive invitations from new clients.  If you're new to the platform I wouldn't do it.  You can also set your profile to public for Upwork users only.  

Thanks for the quick reply.

Re: advising against a private profile, can you advise why? Is it the case
that clients will usually invite freelancers with no (or little history)?
I’m trying to weigh up the pros / cons against ‘being public’ whilst still
working for my employer.

Thanks

Re: advising against a private profile, can you advise why? Is it the case
that clients will usually invite freelancers with no (or little history)?
I’m trying to weigh up the pros / cons against ‘being public’ whilst still
working for my employer.

If you have a clause in your contract with your current employer about not being able to freelance, yes that should be a no-brainer to keep your profile private.  But there are many freelancers who have full-time careers but freelance on the side. 

Pros for a public profile:

* Exposure to more clients = exposure to more opportunities.  Clients will invite whoever they want for whatever reason.  You have every right to decline the proposals that aren't a good fit for any reason.  

* If you are struggling with your profile content we (the Upwork community) can offer advice 

Many freelancers set their profiles to private because they have a steady stream of clients and don't want invitations.  

Again you can also set you profile to public for Upwork users only so your profile won't come up in a google search.  

I am not even sure if a client can tell what your privacy status is when you apply to his job posting.

As a client who has hired freelancers for dozens of jobs, I have never known the privacy setting of any freelancer I hired, and I can't recall seeing any way to see that info.

I guess if I really wanted to I could try searching for a freelancer by name... but why would I do that?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths