🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Choosing the right account type
Page options
dabiri-negar
Community Member

Choosing the right account type

Hellow. I am a freelance self-employed animator based in Hungary. I have been working for my client in Upwork for the past 8 months. Recently I changed my self-employment type from being an individual self-employed person to a registered company (a one-person company) with no employees working for me and I am planning to still work the same way I was working before, but now as my own company.
I would like to know how I can continue working for clients on Upwork? Should I be closing my freelancer account and making a new account? If so, which type of the accounts should I be choosing?
Or am I still able to use my current account and maybe modify the information? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Negar,

Yes, that's right! To clarify, please note that the name on your profile (and, therefore the name under Settings> Contact Info> Account) has to be your name and cannot be a company name.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
JoanneP

Hi Negar,

I checked your account, and it looks like you have created an agency account. You can be a freelancer, agency, and a client on Upwork. You will use the same account to log in to Upwork but will have separate user profiles. You can work as an individual freelancer, or work on projects under your agency account. To learn more about agencies, please check out the help articles on this page. Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne. Thank you for the information.
My situation is, that I was working as a freelance self employed individual up until now, with a personal tax ID and a personal bank account. But now, I have registered myself as a company (a one-person company with no other employees). Therefore I now have a legal company name and a company tax ID and a company bank account. My question is, how can I apply these changes of my self-employment type in Upwork so that I would be able to still continue working with my client.

I tried setting up an agency account to see if it is what I need, but there is nowhere that I can add my company bank account information and my company tax number there. Is this the right type of account for people like me?

Hi Negar,

You can update your payment information, invoice information, and VAT in your settings anytime. However, we are not able to advise you on how you should report your Upwork income under your new status, you may want to consult a legal advisor about your situation in particular. Please note, according to Upwork's ToS freelancers can only have one registered account.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Andrea, Thank you. This seems to be a great option. 

If I update these information (bank account number, legal business name, address and VAT) to my company's information, in the settings of my current freelancer account, does this mean that I can start working with the same account but in the form of my company from now on and sign contracts as a company rather than an individual self-employed person?

Hi Negar,

Yes, that's right! To clarify, please note that the name on your profile (and, therefore the name under Settings> Contact Info> Account) has to be your name and cannot be a company name.

~Andrea
Upwork

Negar D wrote:

Hi Andrea, Thank you. This seems to be a great option. 

If I update these information (bank account number, legal business name, address and VAT) to my company's information, in the settings of my current freelancer account, does this mean that I can start working with the same account but in the form of my company from now on and sign contracts as a company rather than an individual self-employed person?

No. In order to do that, you need to have an agency with more freelancers, not just you. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Negar D wrote:

Hellow. I am a freelance self-employed animator based in Hungary. I have been working for my client in Upwork for the past 8 months. Recently I changed my self-employment type from being an individual self-employed person to a registered company (a one-person company) with no employees working for me and I am planning to still work the same way I was working before, but now as my own company.
I would like to know how I can continue working for clients on Upwork? Should I be closing my freelancer account and making a new account? If so, which type of the accounts should I be choosing?
Or am I still able to use my current account and maybe modify the information? 

That changes nothing as far as your working on the platform. You don't need an agency account, unless you will have other freelancers (not yourself) working in this agency. If you don't plan to do that, close the agency, you are not allowed to be an agency on your own. 

Hi Martina, Thank you for your help. By changing my self-employment type and registering myself as a company, these things were changed:
-My bank account number (I now have a company bank account other than a personal bank account)
-My tax ID number (same as above, a company tax number)
-My address
-The legal name of my business 

Are you suggesting that all these, changes nothing for Upwork and the way I work with my clients?

I am now considered as a legal entity rather than a self-employed individual because I registered myself as a company in Hungary. Should I still be using a freelancer type of account or should I close this one and open a new account.

Negar D wrote:

Hi Martina, Thank you for your help. By changing my self-employment type and registering myself as a company, these things were changed:
-My bank account number (I now have a company bank account other than a personal bank account)
-My tax ID number (same as above, a company tax number)
-My address
-The legal name of my business 

Are you suggesting that all these, changes nothing for Upwork and the way I work with my clients?

I am now considered as a legal entity rather than a self-employed individual because I registered myself as a company in Hungary. Should I still be using a freelancer type of account or should I close this one and open a new account.

Upwork does not care how you are registered in Hungary, from their point of view you can be only 3 things: a freelancer, a client, or an agency. You are clearly a freelancer, and should present as such. 

You should not delete this account, as you can never create a second one. You have to use the one you have and make all changes there. Your bank account has to have your legal name on it, so I suggest you keep your old bank account or add your name to your business account, otherwise you will have problems getting paid. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths