🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Clarification Required On Job Success Score
Page options
mubeenhaider72
Community Member

Clarification Required On Job Success Score

Hello there,

My JSS goes from 100% to 88% without any known reason and any negative feedback. All my clients have given me 5 star rating.

I request an Upwork staff to answer the following questions to help me understand how it happened. I'll be really thankful.

1): A fixed price contract is ended by the client before submission of any work from freelancer side and before making any payment from the client side. The freelancer also approves ending of the contract under a mutual agreement, will it have negative impact on freelancer JSS?

2): A client pays all the amount of fixed price contract but does not end the contract for several months and neither provides feedback. Will it have negative impact on freelancer JSS?

3): Under a fixed price contract, a client does not respond to submitted work for 14 days and the amount in escrow is automatically transferred by Upwork to the freelancer. Will it have negative impact on freelancer JSS?

I'll be really thankful for clear answers to this questions as I have been working so hard to maintain 100% JSS and it goes down to 88% all of suddent for an unknown reason. 

2): If 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You could see if the client will issue a small $5 bonus on the one that closed without payment. That would take it out of the negative impact zone. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
mmartinezgrasso
Community Member

Hi Mubeen,

I'm not from Upwork, but I work freelance in upwork, and I've seen this happening if you don't track any hours during some time. For example, if you don't track any hours for 3 months or so, then upwork changes the score from 100% to 88% or less. Usually, when you track at least 1 hour again in any contract then the score raises to 100% again.

Good luck

a_lipsey
Community Member

Mubeen H wrote:

Hello there,

My JSS goes from 100% to 88% without any known reason and any negative feedback. All my clients have given me 5 star rating.

I request an Upwork staff to answer the following questions to help me understand how it happened. I'll be really thankful.

1): A fixed price contract is ended by the client before submission of any work from freelancer side and before making any payment from the client side. The freelancer also approves ending of the contract under a mutual agreement, will it have negative impact on freelancer JSS?

-  if there was no payment, yes, this will majorly impact your score.

2): A client pays all the amount of fixed price contract but does not end the contract for several months and neither provides feedback. Will it have negative impact on freelancer JSS?

No impact

3): Under a fixed price contract, a client does not respond to submitted work for 14 days and the amount in escrow is automatically transferred by Upwork to the freelancer. Will it have negative impact on freelancer JSS?

No impact

I'll be really thankful for clear answers to this questions as I have been working so hard to maintain 100% JSS and it goes down to 88% all of suddent for an unknown reason. 

2): If 

Thanks Amanda for clear answers. After your reply I understand that the scenario # 1 damaged my JSS. I'll be very much thankful if you can help me by answering one step further in this matter.

Further explaining my scenario # 1: After the contract started and I was working on it, the client had a misunderstanding and he ended the contract all of sudden. The contract appeared in my login asking me whether I want to approve ending of the contract or file a dispute against this. I talked to client and made him realize that I don't agree to ending the contract like this. I negotiated with the client and brought him to the point that he agreed to continue working with me in the form of starting a new contract on exactly the same work. Only after receiving the new contract for same work from the same client, I approved ending of the previous contract without payment and it can be confirmed from client's and mine Upwork accounts. In the new contract for same work, client not only paid to me the contract amout but also paid a bonus amount equal to 25% of the contract price and gave me 5-stars ranking.

Now my point is that it was not actually a failure in completing a job and earning money. Rather, it was a negotiated replacement of one contract with another.I request you to guide me that is there any way that using the above explanation and records of Upwork, this contract ending without payment and its negative impact may be excluded from my JSS as it can be genunily proved that it was a success and not a failure.  Does a way out exists for such a scenario. I have also attached two snapshots to explain the situation.

Amanda, I'll be extremely obliged for your help. 

Mubeen H wrote:

Thanks Amanda for clear answers. After your reply I understand that the scenario # 1 damaged my JSS. I'll be very much thankful if you can help me by answering one step further in this matter.

Further explaining my scenario # 1: After the contract started and I was working on it, the client had a misunderstanding and he ended the contract all of sudden. The contract appeared in my login asking me whether I want to approve ending of the contract or file a dispute against this. I talked to client and made him realize that I don't agree to ending the contract like this. I negotiated with the client and brought him to the point that he agreed to continue working with me in the form of starting a new contract on exactly the same work. Only after receiving the new contract for same work from the same client, I approved ending of the previous contract without payment and it can be confirmed from client's and mine Upwork accounts. In the new contract for same work, client not only paid to me the contract amout but also paid a bonus amount equal to 25% of the contract price and gave me 5-stars ranking.

Now my point is that it was not actually a failure in completing a job and earning money. Rather, it was a negotiated replacement of one contract with another.I request you to guide me that is there any way that using the above explanation and records of Upwork, this contract ending without payment and its negative impact may be excluded from my JSS as it can be genunily proved that it was a success and not a failure.  Does a way out exists for such a scenario. I have also attached two snapshots to explain the situation.

No, there's nothing you can do. I had the same thing happen a while back. Accidentally closed a contract without payment and immediately opened a new one. Upwork considers it contract mismanagement, which is why it impacts your JSS (at least so we've been told). Nothing you  can do. It has happened to many of us. It will only fall on deaf ears.  

You could see if the client will issue a small $5 bonus on the one that closed without payment. That would take it out of the negative impact zone. 

Thanks a lot Amanda. You have been really helpful to me. One very last question if you could answer, I'm confident that the client will agree to my request of paying a small bonus of 5$. However, is it technically possible for the client to pay a bonus after ending the contract? I mean does upwork offer this feature in client's account? Sorry, actually I don't know about provisions in clients' account.

Hi Mubeen,

I would like to confirm to you that this option is available to clients. Let us know if you have further questions. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thanks Mr. Nikola for your confirmation. I have contacted the client and he is willing to pay a small bonus for this purpose. However he said, "You will have to guide me how to do it". I'll be really grateful Mr. Nikola if you could share with me a webpage on "How a client can pay bonus on the contract previously ended without any payment". I'll be able to help my client with this.

Hi Mubeen,

Feel free to share this help article with your client for the steps on how to pay a bonus. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

As suggested by Amanda, I requested the client and he has paid me a bonus of 10$ on the contract that previously ended without any payment. What should I do next for removal of the negative impact of this contract on my JSS? 

Mubeen H wrote:

This is done and can't be undone. You should have adjusted the first contract to your and your client's agreement, and not just close it and open a new one, or alternatively requested a nominal payment. (Actually, it might be possible to get a nominal payment as a bonus on the closed contract, you need to check this out.) 

Anyways, now you know that you have to very careful when accepting or ending contracts, and to go about it more strategically. 

Edit: I see this was all answered in prior posts which I did not read before answering. 

As suggested by Amanda in above conversation, I tried and requested the client and he has paid me a bonus of 10$ on the contract that previously ended without any payment. What should I do next for removal of the negative impact of this contract on my JSS?
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths