🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Client Contact
Page options
aaronbarsana
Community Member

Client Contact

Hi Upwork Team,

I don't even think this is possible, but if it is, it'd be a real lifesaver for me. I would like to ask if there's any way for me to contact my client? His current client account has been deleted - he said that he can't have a client and freelancer account; he did say that it will be "put" together. I need to contact him for the payment of the last two projects that I've done which he forgot to fund I think - also I need to contact him for the availability of the new job that he said he would hire me in.

I appreciate your help on this matter. Thank you!

- Aaron

9 REPLIES 9
aaronbarsana
Community Member

P.S. I know his name, but I'm not sure if the freelancer profile that popped up in the search thingy is him.

kat303
Community Member

@Aaron Paul B wrote:

Hi Upwork Team,

I don't even think this is possible, but if it is, it'd be a real lifesaver for me. I would like to ask if there's any way for me to contact my client? His current client account has been deleted - he said that he can't have a client and freelancer account; he did say that it will be "put" together. I need to contact him for the payment of the last two projects that I've done which he forgot to fund I think - also I need to contact him for the availability of the new job that he said he would hire me in.

I appreciate your help on this matter. Thank you!

- Aaron

This person certainly CAN have both a client and freelancer account. I have one as many many others here have. I don't understand the response he gave "put together." You can't put together 2 accounts to make it one??? What he said sure sounds fishy to me.

If this client's account was deleted. was it deleted by the client, or by Upwork. Upwork deletes/suspends clients accounts when their account violated Upworks TOS. If that's the case, that explains why this client can't have any accounts,

If you haven't been paid, especially by a client who's account is deleted, you certainly aren't going to be paid now. AND, if he said he's going to hire you, I doubt it's going to be on this site here. Not with a deleted account. And if you take this off site, your account may be deleted also.

In the future, do NOT start work if escrow is not FULLY funded, no matter what the client may say to you, convience you or promise you otherwise, you will be in the same situation you're in now.

At this point there's nothing you can do. Chalk this up, if you're new here, as to. Welcome to scam initiation. You've sucessfully completed it. Now you'll know what NOT to do.

Not really sure if it's a scam because we used to work in this situation wherein he updates the milestone when I submit the work.

Also for the new contract that he told me - well, I was invited for it, including the other freelancers that he told the same thing. The only problem is by the time I was going to accept the invite, the job's closed already and the 3 of his former freelancers were in it - wasn't able to accept right away due to personal reasons (just woke up).
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I need to contact him for the payment of the last two projects that I've done which he forgot to fund I think"

I know you mean well and you're just asking a question here. But Upwork is not going to help you contact clients outside of Upwork.

A big reason why Upwork would not help you in the way you're asking them to is this:

It is a violation of one of Upwork's most important rules to get paid outside of the Upwork platform. So if you were to contact the client outside in order to ask him to pay you, and if he paid you directly, that would be grounds for you to be kicked off the platform completely.

Payments need to be handled using the established system. If you didn't use Upwork properly, you need to learn what you did wrong so that you won't make the same mistake again.

Obviously you're not planning to break any of Upwork's rules or do anything wrong. So don't take this in a negative way. I'm just trying to point out why Upwork might not do what you ask.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

HI Aaron Paul, 

I checked your contract with this client and it looks like you have been paid for all the milestones set by the client. You may check your contract page for this project to see which milestones were paid. 

Please note that only the money that's held in escrow is secure. Upwork can't help you collect any funds that have been promised but not deposited to escrow. Therefore, it's important that whatever milestones and amounts were agreed upon between you and your client is held in escrow, and is appropriate for the work you will perform for that milestone.

~ Avery
Upwork

Actually there was supposed to be another 2 milestones - we used to work like this for months wherein he updates the milestones when I finish the assigned task.

re: "Actually there was supposed to be another 2 milestones - we used to work like this for months wherein he updates the milestones when I finish the assigned task."

So you used to do it wrong.

That helps explain things.

From now on, don't do it wrong.

Upwork can't help you with this.

If the client doesn't want to talk to you, he doesn't have to.

I know you are not a stalker. You need to let this go so that the client and other people don't get the mistaken idea that you are a stalker.

Anyway, it does seem inappropriate for us freelancers to chase for such clients - they're supposed to chase us.

I got a little frustrated because I just lost my only source of income, and it's a little hard on my part and my responsibilities here at home. I do realize that it's a mistake on my part because I got too confident on just "one" client.

@Aaron Paul B wrote:
Anyway, it does seem inappropriate for us freelancers to chase for such clients - they're supposed to chase us.

I

You wouldn't have to chase clients if you used Upwork the right way. If you waited until escrow was FULLY funded BEFORE you started working, then all you would have had to do was to click on the Submit Work/Request Payment button and if the client doesn't release the escrowed funds, in 14 days, they are automatically released to you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths