🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client Not Responding
Page options
taningning
Community Member

Client Not Responding

Hello Everyone,

I am new here on upwork and I got my first per hour job last week. The first week was good and the client communicated well with me. However after that one week client did not go online but work contract is still ongoing. I left messages for the client but still no reply. Should I just wait for her to end the contract or is it normal for clients to go MIA for a week? Please advice. Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "However after that one week client did not go online but work contract is still ongoing. I left messages for the client but still no reply. Should I just wait for her to end the contract or is it normal for clients to go MIA for a week?"

Is it normal for clients to go missing for a week?

Sure, why not?

He doesn't work for you. He can do whatever he wants.

There are two possibilities here:

a) you still have things you can work on for him

or

b) you have already finished everything he asked you to do.

If you still have things you can work on, then keep doing them.

Continue sending messages explaining what you did each day. DON'T ask where he is. Don't sound desperate.

Just tell him that today you did task #34 out of the 93 things he asked you to do.

I can go months continuing to do work without hearing from a client. I'll send updates about my progress on the project. If he wants to reply, great. If not, that's okay too. The money flowing from his credit card into my bank account is the purest, most sincere form of communication possible.

If you have already finished everything he asked you to do, then just be patient. Look for other jobs. Learn new skills.

If it goes a couple months and you haven't heard from him, you can close the contract.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client Not Responding"

That's fine. Clients are not obligated to respond to freelancers.

re: "However after that one week client did not go online but work contract is still ongoing. I left messages for the client but still no reply. Should I just wait for her to end the contract or is it normal for clients to go MIA for a week?"

Is it normal for clients to go missing for a week?

Sure, why not?

He doesn't work for you. He can do whatever he wants.

There are two possibilities here:

a) you still have things you can work on for him

or

b) you have already finished everything he asked you to do.

If you still have things you can work on, then keep doing them.

Continue sending messages explaining what you did each day. DON'T ask where he is. Don't sound desperate.

Just tell him that today you did task #34 out of the 93 things he asked you to do.

I can go months continuing to do work without hearing from a client. I'll send updates about my progress on the project. If he wants to reply, great. If not, that's okay too. The money flowing from his credit card into my bank account is the purest, most sincere form of communication possible.

If you have already finished everything he asked you to do, then just be patient. Look for other jobs. Learn new skills.

If it goes a couple months and you haven't heard from him, you can close the contract.

Thanks Preston!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mari Tanya, 

The Customer Support Team has reached out to your client and will also reach out to you should they have an update about your client.

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you so much Avery for assisting me on this. More power to the team.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths