Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Client Server Fees

Highlighted
Chris W Member Since: Dec 26, 2016
1 of 6

I'm new to Upwork.

As I was looking at a potential job opportunity, I saw that the client was going to charge me a server fee when doing data entry for them. Is this normal, I guess I'm afraid it is a scam. Would my server fee just be taken out of the amount I earn after doing the work for them?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 6

@Chris W wrote:

I saw that the client was going to charge me a server fee when doing data entry for them. 

Server fees :-) Lol.

Say Chris, I would be more to happy to help you here but there is a fee for asking questions. Just send me $20 and I will answer your question.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 6

Rene jests ... as he is wont to do.

This is how it works ... clients pay us, not the other way around. Flag the job so Upwork can take a look at it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 6

$60 is half a week's salary for the $3/hour chumps. Pretty steep if you ask me. Prolly should stick to the $20 scam. Maybe they are testing their market value.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 6

re: "I'm new to Upwork."

Chris:

Some of my friends among the Forum Contributors are in a festive holiday mood and they're having fun with you.

Server fees?

This is a scam.

Because you asked this question, you marked yourself as someboy who is not yet ready to work as a freelancer on Upwork.

We believe that you will do one of the following:

a) read the instructions

[or]

b) get scammed out of some money and/or time on your first few jobs

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 6

Hi Chris,

It's against Upwork ToS for clients to request freelancers to pay them fees. Please, check resources in this post and especially "Safety First!" section to learn more about how Upwork works and how to avoid questionable jobs. I'll follow up with the team about the job you are referring to and we'll have it reviewed.

~ Valeria
Untitled