🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client Weird Demand regarding security
Page options
b3b19806
Community Member

Client Weird Demand regarding security

Greetings Upwork Community,

I am almost new to Upwork as I took my account seriously last week and after 2 days got order.

Now, problem is that I send proposal to another client and the corresponding person was saying that give me security for that as its a common practice in Unites States and its refundable as well. Can someone please guide me is this allowed? As this completely looks funny that to get paid I have to pay before.

Regards,
Naima Siddiqa
Freelance Accountant

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Naima,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. Please know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

I would like to clarify that this is not allowed. Circumvention happens when a client or freelancer asks or agrees to pay or be paid outside of Upwork. You can find more information in this help article

I shared your report with our team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
NikolaS

Hi Naima,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. Please know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

I would like to clarify that this is not allowed. Circumvention happens when a client or freelancer asks or agrees to pay or be paid outside of Upwork. You can find more information in this help article

I shared your report with our team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

~ Nikola
Upwork
b3b19806
Community Member

Thanks Nikola for taking prompt action. If there is any further query regardig this then let me know once.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Naima S wrote:

Now, problem is that I send proposal to another client and the corresponding person was saying that give me security for that as its a common practice in Unites States and its refundable as well. Can someone please guide me is this allowed? As this completely looks funny that to get paid I have to pay before.

No, that isn't a common practice in the United States nor anywhere else. It was a scammer who was trying to steal your money. 

Thanks Christine for guiding me.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths