🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Client asked me to help without contract ...
Page options
shevchuk-konstan
Community Member

Client asked me to help without contract and doesn't respond

Hello. I have an issue with client.
On Friday evening 8th of March I applied for a job **edited for Community Guidelines**
Few hours later a client contacted me and offered to have a short interview. He asked me few questions and offered to pay for 2 hours of my work.
I agreed and he sent to me a contact of his developer. After that I had 2 hours session with a developer via Team Viewer solving his issue.We almost completed but he wanted to discuss few things on Saturday morning.
On Saturday morning I discussed with him latest settings. I spent another hour on this.
But in the afternoon developer called me again and asked to help. This time he wanted me to explain business logic of a project that I saw first time in my life. I answered that I can't do it remotely. At the same time I asked the client - this job takes too long and we agreed on 2 hours only. But of course hi didn't reply.
I did't sign any contract with a client - that was my biggest mistake as newbie at Upwork.

For support guys I can attach conversation with that guy.

Can someone help me on this one?

5 REPLIES 5
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Konstantin S wrote:

Hello. I have an issue with client.
On Friday evening 8th of March I applied for a job
**edited for Community Guidelines**
Few hours later a client contacted me and offered to have a short interview. He asked me few questions and offered to pay for 2 hours of my work.
I agreed and he sent to me a contact of his developer. After that I had 2 hours session with a developer via Team Viewer solving his issue.We almost completed but he wanted to discuss few things on Saturday morning.
On Saturday morning I discussed with him latest settings. I spent another hour on this.
But in the afternoon developer called me again and asked to help. This time he wanted me to explain business logic of a project that I saw first time in my life. I answered that I can't do it remotely. At the same time I asked the client - this job takes too long and we agreed on 2 hours only. But of course hi didn't reply.
I did't sign any contract with a client - that was my biggest mistake as newbie at Upwork.

For support guys I can attach conversation with that guy.

Can someone help me on this one?

Well you realized your mistake, which is good, so that you don't make the same mistake again. There is nothing that can be done after the fact. First rule of upwork: never work without a contract. 

JoanneP

Hi Konstantin,

Martina is right. Start working on the project once you have an active contract. I'd recommend that you check out this thread to help you as a new freelancer on Upwork. If you have any questions, please let us know. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Can someone help me on this one?"

Nobody can "help you" with this situation, if by "help" you mean: help you get paid. You won't get paid.

The most important steps for you to take now are:

- Understand you will not get paid.

- Understand why you will not get paid.

- Decide to not make the same mistake again in the future.

kat303
Community Member

No, nothing anyone can do. You didn't have a contract. This client only "offered" to pay you for 2 hours of work, You can't pay bills with offers from a stranger on the internet. 

Clients offer you a contract on Upwork which you can accept or decline by clicking on whatever button.

Clients have their account verified

If this is a fixed rate job, escrow should be FULLY funded

If this is an hourly job, you need to download and instrall tracker, annotate the screen shots it takes and have normal keystroke activity.

yitwail
Community Member

Konstantin, I looked over the job post and saw that the client spent $10k at Upwork. Perhaps you saw that too, and assumed the client was honest, but now you know that you can't trust anyone you haven't worked with before, unless they offer you a contract.

Learning Paths