🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client asked to contact them privately via wh...
Page options
ca77389c
Community Member

Client asked to contact them privately via whatsapp. Is it normal?

Hi Communitiy, 

I'm new here and just applied for a typing job. The client replied that I should contact the project director via whatsapp. Is it normal that the client does it that way? Do I violate Upwork's rules if I contact the client privately, instead of using Upwork's platform?

I appreciate your advice. 

Cam

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi My Cam,

Please note that it is a violation of Upwork’s Terms of Service to request or share contact information before a contract starts.  You can check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork. If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Yes, it is a serious violation to communicate with a prospective client away from the platform until you have a contract in place. The fact that you don't know this indicates you need to stop and get better informed about how the platform works and what the polices are. Otherwise, you are susceptible to scams and wasting your own time and losing money. 

Thank you Phyllis

colettelewis
Community Member

The job is 99.5% a scam, and yes you would be violating Upwork's rules, which forbids freelancers to exchange off platform contatc information until after a contract has been activated. 

You should report the 'client' and  don't communicate any more with him or her. 

Thank you Nichola

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi My Cam,

Please note that it is a violation of Upwork’s Terms of Service to request or share contact information before a contract starts.  You can check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork. If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
ca77389c
Community Member

Thank you Bojan

ca77389c
Community Member

I appreciate all your answers. I was really sceptical about these clients as their payment was not verified and they gave me their phone numbers too.

Now it's clear to me. 

Thank you. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths