🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client asking for Skype ID
Page options
dreamcreator
Community Member

Client asking for Skype ID

a client asking me my skype user ID for an interview is that okay if I share my Skype user ID with him? I do not know about it and that is why I want to know about it. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

@Md.Saidur R wrote:

a client asking me my skype user ID for an interview is that okay if I share my Skype user ID with him? I do not know about it and that is why I want to know about it. 

Sure. As long as you are eventually hired through Upwork you can communicate with potential clients any way that suits the client.

Just don't do any work before you have a proper official Upwork contract.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

@Md.Saidur R wrote:

Sure. As long as you are eventually hired through Upwork you can communicate with potential clients any way that suits the client.

Just don't do any work before you have a proper official Upwork contract.

prestonhunter
Community Member

You are not allowed to post your Skype ID on your Upwork user profile. But Upwork has no rules against sharing Skype IDs with clients or potential clients.

There are no rules against communicating via Skype.

From what we here reported in the Forum, it seems that scammers rarely use Skype. Scammers are more likely to use Google Hangouts. Scammers typically do NOT want you to hear their voice or see their face. So if a potential client wants to talk to you face-to-face, the odds are good that this is a real client.

You still need to be wise and follow Upwork's rules, of course. But a client/potential client asking for your Skype handle, or asking you to interview via Skype, is not a "red flag."

Hello, I'm new to upwork and I,ve got message from my first client and He is asking me for skype id to discuss projects. So what should I do? Kindly answer my question ASAP. Thankyou.

Hi Hania,

Communicating outside of Upwork is not a violation but accepting or offering to get paid outside of Upwork is a violation of our TOS. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Ok Thank You😊
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths