🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client asking for discount after two drafts w...
Page options
a_rau-neacsu
Community Member

Client asking for discount after two drafts were submitted.

Hello everybody, 

I am new to UpWork and have only one job done here. This is my second client and she requested an urgent job, but was very busy and delayed calls and interrupted the calls when giving the requirements and feedback. I tried to work incremental and just send her drafts and make changes on the way, but after the second draft, even if I asked what can I do more, she said she was just working on the document. Next day I received a message from saying the job was very poor and asking for a discount. The money was not released yet. What is my best course of action as I do not want/need a bad feedback in this moment? I really think the job was done well, if not very well giving the circumstances. Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Andreea R wrote:

What is my best course of action as I do not want/need a bad feedback in this moment?

Giving her a discount would be no guarantee against getting a bad review; you'd have to agree to no payment at all if you don't want her written/star feedback to appear in your profile, and even then, she can still leave you bad private feedback which will affect your job success score (when you get one). If avoiding a bad review is more important to you than payment (understandable, since you're new), then I would just politely apologise for being "not the right fit", wish her well, then close the contract yourself and hope that she doesn't bother to rate you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
NikolaS

Hi Andreea,

It is always good to communicate and politely explain everything to your client to avoid any misunderstanding. You can discuss the terms of further engagement on the contract and attempt to resolve the situation amicably.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thank you, Nikola! I'm always trying to be polite, I was just finding myself in a kind of an impossible situation :).

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Andreea R wrote:

What is my best course of action as I do not want/need a bad feedback in this moment?

Giving her a discount would be no guarantee against getting a bad review; you'd have to agree to no payment at all if you don't want her written/star feedback to appear in your profile, and even then, she can still leave you bad private feedback which will affect your job success score (when you get one). If avoiding a bad review is more important to you than payment (understandable, since you're new), then I would just politely apologise for being "not the right fit", wish her well, then close the contract yourself and hope that she doesn't bother to rate you.

Thank you, Christine! I will follow your advice.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths