🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client asking for me to purchase their produc...
Page options
291669d9
Community Member

Client asking for me to purchase their product

I got a request for a job where I have to buy their product first then take a pic of it and take a survey. Is this a normal type of request? They provided a link for purchasing whatever it is but I haven’t clicked the link yet as I want to be cautious.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: “I got a request for a job where I have to buy their product first then take a pic of it and take a survey. Is this a normal type of request? They provided a link for purchasing whatever it is but I haven’t clicked the link yet as I want to be cautious.”

Of course that isn’t normal.

This is not a shopping site. If you wanted to buy stuff, you would have been on Amazon.com or similar.

You are here to make money.

Just think about what YOU would do if YOU were the client…

If you wanted to hire a photographer to take pictures of a product, you would SEND the product to him. You wouldn’t ask him to buy it.

If you wanted someone to try out a product and then fill out a survey about it (which is a legitimate thing to do), you would SEND the product to the survey taker. You would not ask then to buy it.

The “job” you described makes no sense at all. I am certain Upwork has already removed it from the platform.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Annie,

Our team will review the client further and if any violations are found proper actions will be taken. I would also like to clarify that you don't need to pay for anything in order to earn on Upwork. 

In order to be eligible for our Upwork Payment Protection you will need to be hired on an official contract and fulfill the criteria required. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: “I got a request for a job where I have to buy their product first then take a pic of it and take a survey. Is this a normal type of request? They provided a link for purchasing whatever it is but I haven’t clicked the link yet as I want to be cautious.”

Of course that isn’t normal.

This is not a shopping site. If you wanted to buy stuff, you would have been on Amazon.com or similar.

You are here to make money.

Just think about what YOU would do if YOU were the client…

If you wanted to hire a photographer to take pictures of a product, you would SEND the product to him. You wouldn’t ask him to buy it.

If you wanted someone to try out a product and then fill out a survey about it (which is a legitimate thing to do), you would SEND the product to the survey taker. You would not ask then to buy it.

The “job” you described makes no sense at all. I am certain Upwork has already removed it from the platform.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths