🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Client asking for personal information
Page options
c_larussa
Community Member

Client asking for personal information

Hi, I'm brand new to Upwork so unfamiliar with the hiring process.

A client asked me for my name, address, email, and phone number. That seems suspicious. Does that seem right to you? I thought that all communications would be through Upwork.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
nietoaileen
Community Member

That's correct. All communications should be done through Upwork chat. Be extra careful if the "client" is not a verified user. 

Sometimes, for certain types of projects, you might have to share your email, but do it ONLY AFTER the contract starts. An example could be that client needs to share with you a Google Doc, and for you to be able to edit it you'll need an invitation sent by email. 
But I can't see any reason why a client needs to know your address or phone number. Do not share personal information, and think about reporting this to the Upwork team. 

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your email! I told them they would need to do everything
through Upwork and they never even responded.
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Caitlin,

Please, be careful not to share any private or sensitive information with clients on Upwork. All the information needed to hire and pay you via Upwork is available on your profile. 

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
c_larussa
Community Member

Thank you! Yes I thought it was suspicious so didn’t share anything and
told them they’d need to do the contract through Upwork and they
disappeared 😞

I will read the post, I appreciate your help!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths