🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Client asking for revisions after job clo...
Page options
christinesmith81
Community Member

Client asking for revisions after job closed

Hello,

I just finished my first job on UpWork and had a positive experience with he client. I submitted the final work, we both left reviews, and now I’m just waiting for the money to deposit to me (I think it’s still held up in Upworks escrow).

Client reach out to me today (job finished Tuesday, she reviewed me Wednesday) and is asking for a revision on the voice over project I did her her because she changed the script. This is after she sent and deleted a message asking me to email the finished file to her email outside of UpWork (again, sent after job was finished and reviewed).

I’m not sure how to respond. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
yitwail
Community Member

Christine, tell the client you cannot do free work and ask them to offer you a new contract. Otherwise, the client’s under no obligation to pay you for this “revision”.

It depends on the relative scale of her request for subsequent changes.

If you charged her $X for the whole job and making the change she's requesting would be 4% - 5% additional work, do it for free. She'll remember it, if she's the kind of client you want to work for.

If she's requesting new work equal to, say, 30% of the original work, then there is no reason for you to do it for free. A good client wouldn't ask you to.

@Will L wrote:

It depends on the relative scale of her request for subsequent changes.

If you charged her $X for the whole job and making the change she's requesting would be 4% - 5% additional work, do it for free. She'll remember it, if she's the kind of client you want to work for.

I know nothing about voiceover work but I (maybe wrongly?) suspect you can't just plug in a few words to a scene, you'd likely have to start over?

(I do actually agree with the suggestion in general, just not sure it's practical in her line of work without significant effort)

PS - Edited to add: The job paid $ 10... ANY effort at all is excessive.

Thanks everyone! That was exactly what I needed.

After reading your feedback and questions the manner of working and the percentage of work requested does make sense for an new job. I’ll let her know and go from there.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths