🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client asking for work to be done without acc...
Page options
niskek
Community Member

Client asking for work to be done without accepting my proposal

I am new to Upwork and was contacted by a client after submitting a proposal (quick, easy admin task). I have corresponded quite a bit with the client via Signal and they've given me instructions but they have not actually accepted my proposal on Upwork. Is this normal? She also mentioned paying me in Bitcoin which now makes me nervous as all payments should be done through UW? I am not sure how to proceed? This is a highly rated client on the site that has many very good reviews with lots of money spent. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
youssefbahaa
Community Member

Hi Niske, Please be noted that freelancers are not allowed to contact the client outside the Upwork before the contract, this is Violation#1.
Also, getting paid in bitcoin or by any other means [aka outside upwork] is a big violation#2. 
Working on anything requested by the client before having a contract is giving up your protection and rights [unless it is a quick small sample offered by YOU to win the proposal].

How to proceed? 
By doing anything other than having your account suspended. 

Here is one solution, 

Politely inform that client that you are not allowed to be paid in bitcoin or your account will be suspended. And ask him to set up a contract on Upwork so that you can start working on the task. 

If he agreed, then voila! if not, flag him to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps, wish you the best of luck.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
youssefbahaa
Community Member

Hi Niske, Please be noted that freelancers are not allowed to contact the client outside the Upwork before the contract, this is Violation#1.
Also, getting paid in bitcoin or by any other means [aka outside upwork] is a big violation#2. 
Working on anything requested by the client before having a contract is giving up your protection and rights [unless it is a quick small sample offered by YOU to win the proposal].

How to proceed? 
By doing anything other than having your account suspended. 

Here is one solution, 

Politely inform that client that you are not allowed to be paid in bitcoin or your account will be suspended. And ask him to set up a contract on Upwork so that you can start working on the task. 

If he agreed, then voila! if not, flag him to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps, wish you the best of luck.

Thank you - I thought something was up when she wanted to connect outside of the platform and started talking about Bitcoin. However, they are a highly rated client so I just wanted to make sure I do the right thing. I have contacted her as suggested. I appreciate your reply. 

My pleasure, I wish you all the success.
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Niske,

Taking communications with a freelancer or client off of Upwork before a contract is in place is against our Terms of Service.

Also, offering and accepting payments off Upwork is a violation of Upwork TOS. Upwork requires all payments to go through our platform and offers Upwork Payment Protection for both hourly and fixed-price contracts. You can refer to Section 7 of the User Agreement for detailed information.

I suggest that you check out this post for tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths