🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client asking freelancer to download messagin...
Page options
a1eb242e
Community Member

Client asking freelancer to download messaging app

Hi there, I recently received an email about a message I received in Upwork. The content of the message was displayed in Gmail, but my inbox on Upwork was empty. The message was from a potential client and read, "Thank you for your interest in the position. Please text the HR manager [xxx-xxx-xxxx]. Send him a text via your Telegram App. If you don’t have Telegram download via App Store or Play store."

Is this legitimate? I would not expect that I would have to download a third-party app (that I never heard of) to communicate with a client. Thanks for your help!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

That is not allowed.

Upwork does not allow communication through non-Upwork tools until a client has officially hired a freelancer.

If you were to download that app and use it to communicate with the client, you could face suspension or termination of your Upwork account.

Also: Those Telegram "clients" are not real clients. They are just scammers trying to steal your money.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

That is not allowed.

Upwork does not allow communication through non-Upwork tools until a client has officially hired a freelancer.

If you were to download that app and use it to communicate with the client, you could face suspension or termination of your Upwork account.

Also: Those Telegram "clients" are not real clients. They are just scammers trying to steal your money.

JoanneP

Hi Ryan,

I'd like to confirm that Preston is correct. It is a violation of Upwork TOS to communicate outside the platform before a contract is placed. You may want to read this announcement for more information and check out this help article to learn more about how you can stay safe on Upwork. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
9a456a1d
Community Member

There should be no need for you to enter any data off of Upwork; you and the client can discuss the project using Upwork messaging. If you gave the client any of your contact details, or if they asked for this as part of the "application process" then you could indeed be suspended, and it's probably a scam anyway. Read this: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

🙂🙂

I already responded to your post on another thread, but you didn't mention that the contract had already started. So you have an actual offer through Upwork, which you have accepted? In that case, I don't understand why you would need to download an application, if you already got the gig? But yes, you're free to download any software that's needed to complete the project.

🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths