🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Client budget amount
Page options
kozub
Community Member

Client budget amount

As a newbee to Upwork I can't figure out if the budgeted amount is a starting point or is that a locked in amount? Some are so ridicules it is ridicules!

4 REPLIES 4
wescowley
Community Member

That depends on the client. For some, it's what they'll pay and that's it (and no matter what that price is, there will be someone willing to do the job at that price). For others, it's a placeholder or their best guess, and they'll consider higher prices because quality matters more to them.  Some clients will say which one of those it is explicitly in the post and some won't.

For clients who've hired before, one clue is what they've paid for similar jobs in the past. 

You'll get a feel for which ones are worth bidding your price and which ones are better to pass by.  

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Michael K wrote:

As a newbee to Upwork I can't figure out if the budgeted amount is a starting point or is that a locked in amount? Some are so ridicules it is ridicules!

Just a quick remark on your profile: who is WE? You are not an agency, you are a single freelancer and it looks weird to talk about yourself in plural. I might confuse potential clients who most often prefer freelancers to agencies. 

I originally had I rather than we until I read one of those recommendations
from one of your very successful freelancers. He said use we so I changed it
against my better judgment. Figured he must know better than I. I'll change
it back to I. Thanks for the suggestion. It reaffirms my original thoughts.

But how about an answer to my question about the budgeted amount being a
starting place? I see a lot of freelancers giving away their valuable
services and clients surely must be taking advantage of them. I cannot
figure it out. Are they just working for something to do, or a living? I see
budged amounts for $5! Who works for $5 an hour? Disability pays better than
that.

MK
wescowley
Community Member

Michael K wrote:
Are they just working for something to do, or a living? I see
budged amounts for $5! Who works for $5 an hour? Disability pays better than
that.

This is a global platform. In some areas of the world, that is working for a living.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths