Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Client can't figure out how to pay me

Highlighted
Active Member
Clint H Member Since: May 3, 2020
1 of 14

Hello, I need your help with one of my ended contracts. It was a fixed price contract with a budget of $525 with only one milestone of $25. There probably should have been a second milestone for the remaining $500, but we didn't set it up that way cause we're noobs. I've sent all the files to the client, but the client has not released the full amount of the budget to me. All I got was the first milestone payment of $25. After I sent the final files and asked for full payment, the client simply said that he couldn't see any obvious way on the website to pay me. Both me and the client are new to UPWORK. I think I need dispute resolution to step in and help him figure out how to make final and full payment on the project. How do I get dispute resolution involved to help? I tried to following the direction on the website, and it just pushed me to the community. Please let me know if you have any questions or need any additional information.

Highlighted
Moderator
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 14

Hi Clint, 

Please note that only the money that's held in escrow is secure. Upwork can't help you collect any funds that have been promised but not deposited to the escrow. Therefore, it's important that the amount held in escrow is appropriate for the work you will perform for that milestone. In this case, your client can issue a bonus payment to you by following the steps here

 

I would also like to clarify that dispute doesn't apply in this case since there is no milestone for the remaining $500. You may want to read up on Payment Protection here for more information on how you can be payment protected while working on Upwork. 

 

Since you are new, I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.


If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to reach out here, and our team will be happy to assist you. 


-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
3 of 14

Clint H wrote:

Hello, I need your help with one of my ended contracts. It was a fixed price contract with a budget of $525 with only one milestone of $25. There probably should have been a second milestone for the remaining $500, but we didn't set it up that way cause we're noobs. I've sent all the files to the client, but the client has not released the full amount of the budget to me. All I got was the first milestone payment of $25. After I sent the final files and asked for full payment, the client simply said that he couldn't see any obvious way on the website to pay me. Both me and the client are new to UPWORK. I think I need dispute resolution to step in and help him figure out how to make final and full payment on the project. How do I get dispute resolution involved to help? I tried to following the direction on the website, and it just pushed me to the community. Please let me know if you have any questions or need any additional information.


If you agree to milestones, it works the following way: Client sets up first milestone, you provide work for first milestone. Client approves milestone and sets up second, you provide agree work for second, and so on.

This client had paid for the first one, so he is very able to figure out how to do the next, unless he is unwilling or unmotivated to do so, as he already has received the full work. Hint: he will not pay you, and you don't need to involve anybody else in this matter, just accept where you went wrong and move on. Upwork does not protect you if you don't work in the framework they provide for you to get paid. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
BEST ANSWER
4 of 14

If your client wants to pay you,  the easiest way now would be to pay you a bonus, as described here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000980407-Pay-a-Bonus?flash_digest=bded3489527ea6c06...

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Active Member
Anne D Member Since: Jun 22, 2020
5 of 14

Martina P wrote:

This client had paid for the first one, so he is very able to figure out how to do the next, unless he is unwilling or unmotivated to do so, as he already has received the full work. Hint: he will not pay you, and you don't need to involve anybody else in this matter, just accept where you went wrong and move on. Upwork does not protect you if you don't work in the framework they provide for you to get paid. 


Martina, we've just spent the last two hours trying to figure out how to pay our contractor.  The Upwork interface is clean and pleasant in appearance, but almost impossible to use.  For example, this forum itself doesn't list more than a few current threads, and no way to search or to see a complete list.

 

We had one milestone, and paid for that, and now our contractor finished the job, and ended the contract, but we absolutely cannot find out how to pay him.  If we make it a bonus, this still leaves $700 on the job itself, and who knows what will happen with that, and if in the future we'll look negligent for not paying for the work.  I'm saying this just to point out that from the client side, it's not that we don't want to pay or intend to pay - we simply can't figure it out.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 14

Anne D wrote:

Martina P wrote:

This client had paid for the first one, so he is very able to figure out how to do the next, unless he is unwilling or unmotivated to do so, as he already has received the full work. Hint: he will not pay you, and you don't need to involve anybody else in this matter, just accept where you went wrong and move on. Upwork does not protect you if you don't work in the framework they provide for you to get paid. 


Martina, we've just spent the last two hours trying to figure out how to pay our contractor.  The Upwork interface is clean and pleasant in appearance, but almost impossible to use.  For example, this forum itself doesn't list more than a few current threads, and no way to search or to see a complete list.

 

We had one milestone, and paid for that, and now our contractor finished the job, and ended the contract, but we absolutely cannot find out how to pay him.  If we make it a bonus, this still leaves $700 on the job itself, and who knows what will happen with that, and if in the future we'll look negligent for not paying for the work.  I'm saying this just to point out that from the client side, it's not that we don't want to pay or intend to pay - we simply can't figure it out.


_______________________________________________

 

You can still pay the freelancer the balance as a "bonus". 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000980407-Pay-a-Bonus

Highlighted
Moderator
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
7 of 14

Hi Anne,

 

The Remaining field you see on the Contract page for fixed-price jobs shows the difference between the amount that was set as a budget in the offer and the amount that's been paid. I checked the contract you're referring to and see that all the money that's been funded in Escrow (which was less than what was set for the budget) has already been released to the freelancer and the contact's been closed. You currently don't have any funds in Escrow for that contract. 

 

If there are any remaining funds that need to be paid to the freelancer, you can pay them as a bonus.

 

Thank you!

 


~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Active Member
Clint H Member Since: May 3, 2020
8 of 14

Thank you for the reply. I actually solved this issue by asking the client to start a new contract, which they did and paid me in full.

 

I do have another pressing question: Some of my work involves filing documents for clients with state and federal agencies. There are filing fees involved, anywhere from $20 to $800. I normally bill clients by the hour on Upwork. Is there a way to submit receipts to them for the filing fees I've paid for their projects and get reimbursed when working on an hourly basis?

 

Thanks for your help.

 

Best regards,

 

Clint Hanni

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
9 of 14

Clint H wrote:

Thank you for the reply. I actually solved this issue by asking the client to start a new contract, which they did and paid me in full.

 

I do have another pressing question: Some of my work involves filing documents for clients with state and federal agencies. There are filing fees involved, anywhere from $20 to $800. I normally bill clients by the hour on Upwork. Is there a way to submit receipts to them for the filing fees I've paid for their projects and get reimbursed when working on an hourly basis?

 

Thanks for your help.

 

Best regards,

 

Clint Hanni


Nice to hear that you encountered an honest client that paid you in full. Usually this kind of experience ends quite differently.

Upwork does not have a system in place to account for expenses to be paid without a fee to upwork. It could be manipulated too easily. Either the client pays the expenses directly to the service provider without your involvment, which might not be possible in many cases, or you bill it via upwork with a fixed price contract but then you have to mark them up for the fee. 

Highlighted
Active Member
Clint H Member Since: May 3, 2020
10 of 14
You please be just a little more specific. What Exactly do you mean by “Bill it through Upwork and account for the fee”?