🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client cancelled contract before I billed the...
Page options
clauren50
Community Member

Client cancelled contract before I billed them.

Hi Team,

I have just started working on my first project using UpWork.

Unfortunately my client has cancelled the contract before I logged my hours and I am wondering if I am able to be paid for these hours?

I had also cancelled another request in order to assist this client.

Does this happen frequently?

Thank you!
Lauren

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client cancelled contract before I billed them."

This means that you used Upwork incorrectly.

A client may close a contract at any time. There is nothing wrong with that.

When I work on an hourly contract, I use the desktop time-tracker to log my time. This way, I always get paid for all of my time. Even if the client closes the contract at an unexpected time.

If I need to use manually-logged time, then I always log time time immediately after every work session. That is the proper way to do it. That shows respect for the client. And it ensures that I get paid for my time, even if the client closes a contract unexpectedly.

This is all GOOD NEWS for you. Because it means that you have control over this. You don't need to rely on the client or Upwork or anybody else. You have the power.

re: "Unfortunately my client has cancelled the contract before I logged my hours and I am wondering if I am able to be paid for these hours?"

Yes. You can still get paid for these hours. You may send a short message to the client. Tell him:

"Jason:
Thank you again for the opportunity to work on your project. I worked for 2 hours on Tuesday, but the contract was closed before I had a chance to log my time. The rate is $10/hour. If you could use the client-side 'Send bonus' tool to pay $20, I would appreciate it, and that would mean the work has been paid in full. Thank you."

re: "Does this happen frequently?"

No.

Because other freelancers log their time using the desktop time-tracker, or they log their manual time immediately after every work session.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths