🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client decided to canceling the contract but ...
Page options
azher90
Community Member

Client decided to canceling the contract but neither canceling nor responding

Hi everyone...

This is my first post on the Upwork community and needs your kind advice on this issue.

I was working on a project with a client, I did my best to deliver quality work to that client as it was my second project on the Upwork. Though I worked accordingly as the client said. But he is not willing to accept my project. As I am a beginner and do not want any bad reviews on my profile and made him sure that I will file a dispute. We had a strong discussion on this topic we both agreed on canceling the contract. But, now it has been more than 7 days still he did not end the contract.  I am making my mind to submit the work and if he did not approve I will file a dispute.

Regards,

Azher I.

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client decided to canceling the contract but neither canceling nor responding"

Clients may cancel a contract at any time. There is nothing wrong with that.

Clients are not required to respond to freelancers.

re: "This is my first post on the Upwork community and needs your kind advice on this issue."

You came to the right place. Forum participants love to provide advice, and sometimes it is even of the kind variety.

re: "But, now it has been more than 7 days still he did not end the contract. I am making my mind to submit the work and if he did not approve I will file a dispute."

If there was a time when you and the client agreed to cancel the contract... and there was a period of seven days during which the client could have closed the contract and received a full refund easily... Then it sounds like the client made a tactical mistake by not going ahead and closing it during that period of time.

Now you are thinking about submitting the work for payment, which is something different from what you agreed to verbally with the client.

You have the right to do that. The Upwork user interface is software-driven and it is "unaware" of your verbal agreement with the client.

If you want things to go AS EASY AS POSSIBLE, then you should simply close the contract and proactively refund the money to the client. But the choice is still yours. You can still submit the work and request the payment. If you do that, and the client does NOTHING for 14 days, then the money will be released to you automatically.

It sounds like you already understand how the system works. You already know that having a zero-pay contract will impact your JSS negatively.

Are you asking for advice?

How much money was this contract for?

Have you considered sending a short note to the client:
"Frank, I have thought about our discussion. I understand that you did not like everything about my work on the project. And of course I know that you understand that I put a lot of work into this. To help us both move forward, I am going to proactively split the difference. One hour from now I will close the contract and ask for only half of the payment. That will result in an compromise for both of us. You won't need to do anything. You will automatically receive the refund back into your account within 5 business days."

Hi Preston, thanks for your response.

"Are you asking for advice?"

Yes, because I am unable to understand this situation at this stage.

"How much money was this contract for?"

It was an $80 contract.

re:"Clients may cancel a contract at any time. There is nothing wrong with that"

Sure. He has the right to do that but will it affect me while getting the next job. Maybe another client will see my jobs in progress and there will be fewer chances of getting a job.

re:"f you want things to go AS EASY AS POSSIBLE, then you should simply close the contract and proactively refund the money to the client. But the choice is still yours. You can still submit the work and request the payment. If you do that, and the client does NOTHING for 14 days, then the money will be released to you automatically."

what if I submit work and receive the amount in 14 days. Will he be able to put a review on my profile?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths