🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Client does not answer, can I get back co...
Page options
kamilah_garif
Community Member

Client does not answer, can I get back connects?

I submitted a proposal and spent 4 connects, in addition I have done a test, it took time. But the client does not answer and my proposal has not been even read. So can I get my connects back?

19 REPLIES 19
pudingstudio
Community Member

Kamilah G wrote:

I submitted a proposal and spent 4 connects, in addition I have done a test, it took time. But the client does not answer and my proposal has not been even read. So can I get my connects back?

No.

But you have learned not to do any work without a contract.

When a client asks you to "do a test" or provide work with a promise of hiring, you inform them that you will do all of that as soon as they send you job offer for you to accept.

If they don't do so, flag them for asking you to provide free work.

Thank you, Antun!

The client has asked to do a test in the job description **Edited for Community Guidelines** and I thought that it could show my work speed skills (they have mention a deadline like "asap"), so it is not quite they asked me in person to do a test...

But definitely it is a good lesson, I wont do any test again!

However the question is that they did not even open my message, so I don't understand why those connects are lost... They did not get any job from me in fact.

Kamilah G wrote:

However the question is that they did not even open my message, so I don't understand why those connects are lost... They did not get any job from me in fact.

You use connects to submit proposals, not to get jobs. Get the job or not, your connects die. You only get your connects back if they refuse your proposal.

Dogan K wrote:

Kamilah G wrote:

You use connects to submit proposals, not to get jobs. Get the job or not, your connects die. You only get your connects back if they refuse your proposal.

This isn't correct either.

You do NOT get connects back if they decline your proposal, only if they cancel (!) the job post without hiring anybody or if Upwork takes the job post down for a terms of service violation.

But I'm sure that it happened to me once. The client refused my proposal and sent me a kind message, and I got my connects back. 🤔

Dogan K wrote:
But I'm sure that it happened to me once. The client refused my proposal and sent me a kind message, and I got my connects back. 🤔

Then there will have been some other factor or the connects were from a different job or the client closed the job without hiring anybody.

Bruv, I'm new to upwork. 
Like, very new. 

so, what you said about connects, Is this still the case now in 2022? Because Upwork doesn't give any free connects whatsoever, anymore... So proposals that are not accepted or ignored by the seller/client, are they returned in any way?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ahnaf,

We return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of ServiceYou can find more information here.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
709ed254
Community Member

yes, I came across this term 'when a client closes their job without hiring'... what does it actually mean in terms of upwork?

does it mean that the ones that aren't interviewed or hired her their connects back?

I seem to be confused, I need a bit more clarity. thanks in advance

Hi Ahnaf,

Thank you for your message. Your Connects are returned if a client closes their job without hiring. If a client never hires but doesn’t close the job, your Connects are not returned. 

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork

I sent a proposal to a client , he started messaging me and my proposal was active , but he is not replying since 2 days , and left , do i get my connects back or not

There are 10 free connects per month. 

ahh! really? I'm relieved hearing this!

I thought I read somewhere that upwork doesn't provide free connects anymore.. I was easy, because I am still struggling to find the first task from a client, since I newly joined this platform

How is this the accepted solution for the above question??

hsodhi
Community Member

So how does one know that the job was closed without hiring ? Or that the job post is taken down for TOS violation ?

Further, is there a time limit for a job to be closed by a client ? And any penalty on the client if it does that without hiring anyone ?

Hi Hardeep,

Thank you for reaching out. you will know that the job was closed if they no longer appear on your active proposals tab and are moved to the archive proposals tab. The job posts that violate ToS will be completely removed from the system.

There is no time limit for a job to be closed by a client. When they have an open job posting, we send them reminders or notifications about it so they can revisit it and check the proposals. As long as there's activity on the job post within the last 30 days, it will remain active and will continue to appear in the marketplace.

We do not impose penalties when clients don't hire anyone. But it should reflect on their "About the client" section whenever they post a job listing. This helps freelancers properly vet if it's worth their Connects to send a proposal to the client's job post, especially if they have a low hire rate.

~ AJ
Upwork
hsodhi
Community Member

Thank you for your reply. So if a "client" has a low hire rate, not to apply to that job ?

Also, doesn't seem to be working - for a specific job I applied to " About the Client" says 9 interviews, 68 jobs posted, over $5.9 K spent, 229 hours billed, open 25 jobs, 71 hires" . Would you consider that a client not to apply to ?

Considering that it is costing a freelancer in "Connects" won't it be fair for the clients also to "lose" something if they are posting jobs just for the heck of it - or maybe just to gather data ??

Appreciate your thoughts!

hsodhi
Community Member

Seeing another job I applied to which is now closed. About the client says " 1 interview, 466 jobs posted, over $320K total spent, 19,322 hours billed, open 3 jobs, 439 hires".

Not clear if there is a hire here for the specific job I applied to. Also, is this a good client or bad?

starkville
Community Member

Reading all this, It seems client is in upper hand here. Take an example, I (developer) sent a proposal for 31 connects, it's been 15 days and client is not reponding, my 31 connects are now stuck. I could have used it for other things meanwhile. All I wanted to say client should also have a "timeline" to accept or reject a proposal. If the client is not doing so, on the last date connect should be returned to the proposal submitter and clinet should be devalued with a tag "Unresponsive Client"

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths