🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client doesn't like the product I provide
Page options
damonkyle
Community Member

Client doesn't like the product I provide

What happens if a client accepts my proposal but ends up not liking the service I provided? As long as I fallowed the peramiters they set, was honest about my abilities, and did the best work I could do would they still have to pay me? I definitely want to provide the best service possible, but I know that its not garunteed the client will like it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nastasja
Community Member

Hi Damon,

You will still receive the payment in any case, as this is guaranteed by Upwork for both Fixed Price & Hourly jobs (but the client must have a verified payment method). For Fixed contracts, the funds are released automatically in 14 days if the clients does not release them earlier. For Hourly, the funds are released automatically in any case within the standard period ("an hour worked is an hour paid"). The only problem you may have is a bad feedback in case the client does not like your work.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
nastasja
Community Member

Hi Damon,

You will still receive the payment in any case, as this is guaranteed by Upwork for both Fixed Price & Hourly jobs (but the client must have a verified payment method). For Fixed contracts, the funds are released automatically in 14 days if the clients does not release them earlier. For Hourly, the funds are released automatically in any case within the standard period ("an hour worked is an hour paid"). The only problem you may have is a bad feedback in case the client does not like your work.

Thank you!

nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Damon,

There are certain conditions which need to be met in order for the work that you do to be covered by Upwork's payment protection.
Please have a look at this article for information about Hourly Protection for Freelancers and you can have a look at this article for details about Fixed-Price Protection for Freelancers. I hope that helps you!

~Nina
bobafett999
Community Member

@Damon K wrote:

What happens if a client accepts my proposal but ends up not liking the service I provided? As long as I fallowed the peramiters they set, was honest about my abilities, and did the best work I could do would they still have to pay me? I definitely want to provide the best service possible, but I know that its not garunteed the client will like it.

Well Damon:  What Anatasia says is mostly correct and most of the time it works well when the buyer is honest and understanding.

Two scenerios (both assumes that the project is funded).

1. Hourly:  If you have tracked time using the desktop APP and provided all the optional and required info. Upwork requires you will be paid even if the buyer defaults.  For hourly contracts buyers have 5 days to approve the hours or dispute.  If they don't do anything you will be paid.

2. On a fixed price contract you are at basically marcy of the buyer.  If they don't want to pay you there is nothing you can do.  They may keep on asking for revisions.  The contract will go in dispute Upwork will try to "reach a compromise".  If no compromise is reached, they get the funds.  Your next course of action is go to arbtration, but that will cost you about $300.

@There was another question similar to yours and @Petra suggested something that you may want to consider,"If you are sure you are in the right then you may want to gamble with arbitration. If you pay for arbitration and the client does not, you get the Escrow funds AND your arbitration fee back."

If you are designing logo send them low res images with copyright stuff and say that once they approve and release the funds you will give them the original.

But here you have to be careful, if the buyers are bent on not paying you they will leave bad public and bad private feedback and that will affect your rating.

Good Luck in freelancing world.

Hopefully things will work out in your favor, but be aware of the downside.

sharonliu
Community Member

Personally, I have always done revisions until the client liked my product. Usually, this does not take too long. Provided that the compensation is high enough, this method may be worth your while.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths