Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client doesn't want to pay

Highlighted
Agnieszka K Member Since: Sep 29, 2017
1 of 22

Hello everyone, 

I am new on Upwork. I have got a contract. The client knew the price per hour and set a limit of 5 hours. It was a translation. I translated the document within 24 hours. (The client asked me later, after giving me the job to do it as quick as possible.) The translation took 3,40 h.  The client doesn't want to pay nowthe price for these hours,, because he thought I would take less for the translation (1-2 hours). He didn't mention his limits to me. I told him that the price he should pay is less than translations made by translation companies in Germany. After he got the translated text, he didn't tell anything about any corrections. Everything seemed to be fine. Now, he does everything to pay less. 

Unfortunately I added the hours manually, because I didn't knew the other option. But still, I haven't exceed the limit of 5 hours. 

Whom can I contact? If hours are added manually, the payment is not protected now? 

I would be grateful for any help or information. 

Thank you in advance. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 22

re: "Whom can I contact?"

There is nobody to contact.

Whatever happens will happen.

You will be paid the full amount.

Or the client will dispute your manually-logged hours and get those removed so he doesn't have to pay.

My advice: Be supportive and understanding of the client and hope that he doesn't contact Upwork to remove any of your manually-logged hours.

If you are fortunate, you will be paid for all the hours you worked. If you aren't, then that's okay, too. You will have learned some valuable lessons about how Upwork works.

Highlighted
3 of 22

Hello Preston, 

thank you for your quick answer. The clients tries to reduce the payment. So I suppose that he will dispute the hours and I wouldn't be paid at all? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 22

re: "So I suppose that he will dispute the hours and I wouldn't be paid at all?"

I don't know what the client is going to do.

Ethically, the client should pay you for the time that you worked on the project. Period.

But Upwork policies allow a client to dispute manually-logged time.

You don't know what the client will do in the future. Hope for the best. But there's nothing you can do about this other than try to be nice to the client.

Highlighted
5 of 22

Hello, 

I understand the policy of Upwork, it also tries to protect clients. I made a mistake with the manually logged hours. 

I have learned my lesson. 

Thank you!!!!!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 22

Agnieska, 

I am assuming that you had over 1000 words to translate. If this is the case, your client is getting a bargain for the rates you are charging. 

And Preston is right; to get paid something, you may have to agree to a reduction. Unfortunately, freelancers are not protected at all on manual hourly jobs. You are in a no-win situation because your client, unless you agree to his/her terms, is likely to give you a less than stellar feedback. 

Try and resolve this as amicably as possible with your client, and in future, don't take on any jobs unless you insist on fixed-rate jobs with the amount agreed paid into escrow, or an hourly job using the tracker. 

When this contract ends you can leave feedback for the client. Be very professional in your assessment of the client and the job (i.e. don't rant!), but do not be generous with your rating.

Highlighted
7 of 22

Hello Nichola, 

thank you very much. Well, I let a good opinion after ending the contract. To that moment I haven't got any idea of what would happen. But everything is ok. 

Any experience is welcome. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 22

How many words, which language pair?

Essentially if the client DOES dispute, you will not get paid, that's correct.

I would try to resolve it amicably with the client, as you don't really want to end up with a bad review for your very first contract.

That does NOT mean just rolling over and giving in. It means calmly and professionally educating the client.....

Highlighted
K G O Member Since: Oct 16, 2018
9 of 22

Probably worst than a client that doesn't want to pay is when Upwork does not want to pay alleging all sorts of technicalities and prolonging the payout for as long as they want. 

Sometimes it looks like freelancers are pretty much exploited in and by Upwork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
10 of 22

@K G O wrote:

Probably worst than a client that doesn't want to pay is when Upwork does not want to pay alleging all sorts of technicalities and prolonging the payout for as long as they want. 

Sometimes it looks like freelancers are pretty much exploited in and by Upwork.

Upwork wouldn't be the biggest freelance site on the internet if that was true. For the most part, Upwork only makes money when it collects a percentage of freelancer earnings, so it wants freelancers to be paid. However, when freelancers don't learn and use proper procedures, like only working with a contract, making sure milestones are fully funded and payment method verified, and using time tracker whenever possible on an hourly job, then Upwork can't make clients pay.