cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client doesn't want to pay

Highlighted
K G O Member Since: Oct 16, 2018
11 of 22

Yeah, maybe that's the problem. Upwork has very rigid procedures and on top of that seems to be suspicious of freelancers. But some of Upworks "security" procedures are rather weird. For instance, they would ask you to do a video call to confirm your ID, yet you cannot see who is at the other side and then you have to show your personal ID to that mysterious person. The entire episode seems more like a scam than security procedure. And that video check is not even based in the US it is somewhere in the Philippines, so where is the legal circumscription there?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 22

Hi K G,

I believe you are referring to Upwork Video Verification. Please, note that it's a standard process that Upwork freelancers are asked to complete in order to verify information on their accounts. We wish we didn't have to take this step but, unfortunately, it's necessary to maintain trust on the marketplace. The process is secure and a team of trained agents assists users with it. Please, refer to this help article and the support ticket that's been created for you for more information.

It also sounds like you had some concerns about your payment withdrawal. If a freelancer is using Direct to Local Bank transfer, it normally takes up to 4 business days for the money to appear. Please, refer to this help article for more information about payment methods available on Upwork.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
13 of 22

Yes I do refer to Upwork Video Verification. And like you, I also wish Upwork shouldn't have to make freelancers take that step because it does not inspire trust.

I would not give personal sensitive information to a mysterious person in a country in which I have no legal reach. Your Video Verification is done in the Philippines. I don't know anything about Philippine law. I have no idea what is the legislation regarding privacy and the handling of sensitive information in the Philippines, I have no resources there to take legal action if necessary.

You say the system is "secure". Well, maybe in theory, but the fact of the matter is that systems get hacked all the time. You know that, you read the news. So you cannot guarantee information saved in your system is 100% secured, and if you do, you are liable. Unless of course, that system is based in some remote place like, I don't know, the Philippines?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 22

@K G O wrote:

Yes I do refer to Upwork Video Verification. And like you, I also wish Upwork shouldn't have to make freelancers take that step because it does not inspire trust.

Not using your name (as you are required to by the terms of service) as your profile name does not "inspire trust" either.

Highlighted
15 of 22

Hi Petra, it is interesting that you mention this because I did not get to choose my name. It was assigned to me by Upwork. Until very recently I was using my full normal name.

It was Upwork itself who pushed me to change it this way, to use only initials, and they precisely quote the very same terms of service you just mentioned...

So now, by your own account, there seem to be some contradictions on either your own terms of services or simpy lack of communication between your different departments. Something I was not aware of till now.

As a "Community Guru" perhaps it would be a good idea to look into that and provide comment better informed.

Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 22

@K G O wrote:

1)  I did not get to choose my name. It was assigned to me by Upwork. It was Upwork itself who pushed me to change it this way, to use only initials, and they precisely quote the very same terms of service you just mentioned...

2) .... perhaps it would be a good idea to look into that and provide comment better informed.

1)  Nonsense.  You choose your profile name (not your user ID) You are supposed to use your real first name as it appears on your ID documents.

2) Also Nonsense. I am a freelancer, Upwork's procedures have nothing to do with me.  It's not my job to "look into" anything.

Highlighted
17 of 22

"I am a freelancer, Upwork's procedures have nothing to do with me."

Ok, if you say so. After all you are the guru.

Just one last thing. Perhaps if you would spend more time moderating and less time attacking users for bringing up legitimate concerns about your system, this conversation would have ended up in someplace useful.

No hard feelings, keep up the good work.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
18 of 22

@K G O wrote:

"I am a freelancer, Upwork's procedures have nothing to do with me."

Ok, if you say so. After all you are the guru.

Just one last thing. Perhaps if you would spend more time moderating and less time attacking users for bringing up legitimate concerns about your system, this conversation would have ended up in someplace useful.

No hard feelings, keep up the good work.

For your understanding: everyone you see posting on this forum is either a freelancer like you, more rarely a client, and even more rarely a member of the public. Only people with an upwork logo are employed by upwork, all other voice opinions, or share knowledge. 

The titles assigned are merely related on how often they post, and how many kudoes they get or solutions provide. 

I hope this helps to moderate your own responses. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 22

@K G O wrote:

Just one last thing. Perhaps if you would spend more time moderating ..... legitimate concerns about your system,

Which part of "I am not a moderator and do not work for Upwork" are you having such extraordinary trouble understanding?

I am quite happy to explain it again, broken down into simple terms that even you can wrap your head around...

Highlighted
Community Leader
Christopher B Member Since: Jul 11, 2015
20 of 22

@K G O wrote:

Sometimes it looks like freelancers are pretty much exploited in and by Upwork.

Ahhhh, nope. You brought this on yourself by not using the tracker. Buck up and take the responsibility and move on.

Personally I never use the tracker. I manually enter all my time yet I have always been paid. I don't recommend it but it works for me.