🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Client ended contract suddenly, Job Succe...
Page options
wolfiefeeling
Community Member

Client ended contract suddenly, Job Success drops

today a client ended contract suddenly, my Job Success drops from 100% to 88%

I am thinking if that is totally my bad. If I am too wordy please forgive me

normally I take programming jobs and I really take great care of my responsibility
my job success was 100% before today and all 5-star reviews.

It was about a watercolor painting job I took 2 months ago, I am supposed to paint a watercolor for 20 dollars.
I did not do it for money, just because painting was always my hobby. and I will feel happy if my painting will be accepted by anyone.

But since a weekend in August, I got threatens and unbearable bullying from my flatmate where I couldn't stay at my own place anymore, I was leaving my place for last 2 months and living in the lab of the university which is a shady experience in my life and constantly very tired and feeling low, where I truly have no good condition of carrying a colorful heart of doing watercolor painting but I was still doing programming jobs on upwork. but I know that the flat problem will be ended at the end of this month (October).

I was planning as soon as I am back to my flat I would finish the painting.

I never forgot the painting job but that job doesn't have a clear due-time and the painting job was always open and she was constantly looking for paintings. in the last 2 months my client never pushed me to delivery, and no message from her. the last message I got from her was she said it would take long for her to reply due to she was very busy. I didn't really know if I should tell the client about my situation, will it be less professional, will it sound like excuses? therefore I didn't communicate with her that I would handle it later, and in the last 2 months, she didn't write anything to me, till today, without any communication and messages, my client ends my contract suddenly and my job success drops to 88%.

I think I did wrong in this, but I don't know if that is totally my fault. but I feel that I will feel a great deal better if she can leave me a message about her intention of ending the contract and let me react or saving this.

the current status is my client ends the contract with "job not done" and asked for a refund of 20 dollars in escrow and not leaving any feedback to me.

and I am writing to ask if there is a way to save this, like making this job successfully again and save my job success rate. and if you are in a personal issue like this, how to communicate with the client to be more professional?

thanks a lot.

Weiling

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Don't worry so much about a JSS of 88.

There are many freelancers who have a JSS of 100 now, who had scores LOWER than 88 previously.

Work hard to select jobs appropriate for your skill set, and do a great job for clients. You'll bounce back.

As for your "situation"... Is it fair? Not fair? Totally your fault or not? That's neither here nor there. Think of it as "something that happened in the past."

If you were away from your computer for 3 days because you were working on a top-secret mission that cured cancer - not just one form of cancer, but all cancers - and that was the reason you turned in work late, a client could justifiably close the contract. Upwork does not adjudicate feedback from clients or restrict when clients close contracts.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
martina_plaschka
Community Member

A contract that the client ended today can't impact your JSS today, because JSS gets calculated every 2 weeks, so next run is next Sunday. 

j_rains
Community Member

So you can allow her the ability to edit the review that she left you, but before doing that I strongly advise you explain the situation and make an attempt to appeal to the clients emotions.

100% you should have said something to her, being completely honest and open about a situation that can directly effect the work needing to be done is better than just being silent.

I'm not sure how 1 review knocked you down to 88% from 100 though, that seems really drastic to me. But if  you can't get this issue resolved I wouldn't worry to much, I have an 86% (all 5 star reviews) and I still get jobs quite frequently.

I also don't know, probably I didn't check my Job Success very often, it happened already before today.
thanks for the reply. ❤️

robin_hyman
Community Member

I'm sorry for your personal situation which has nothing to do with serving your clients on Upwork.  Your story just doesn't add up.

1) There's one drawing job on your profile and that was in January 2019.  I don't see one drawing job from the time period you mentioned...unless your profile hasn't been updated yet with the poor feedback.

2) There is also no way your JSS dropped that drastically today.  JSS updates every other Sunday.  It will update this upcoming Sunday

3) Your response time is 3+ days.  That means you're not a good communicator.  It doesn't suprise me that the client closed the job suddenly.  She/he doesn't have to give you a reason.  You didn't update him/her on an estimated time of delivery.  No matter how busy the client is, it is the freelancer's job to manage expectations.  

If being a freelancer is important enough to you, you'll be a little more on top of your projects in the future.  If you had a JSS of 100% and were top rated you can use your perk to remove the poor feedback (which I don't see yet).  

Don't worry so much about a JSS of 88.

There are many freelancers who have a JSS of 100 now, who had scores LOWER than 88 previously.

Work hard to select jobs appropriate for your skill set, and do a great job for clients. You'll bounce back.

As for your "situation"... Is it fair? Not fair? Totally your fault or not? That's neither here nor there. Think of it as "something that happened in the past."

If you were away from your computer for 3 days because you were working on a top-secret mission that cured cancer - not just one form of cancer, but all cancers - and that was the reason you turned in work late, a client could justifiably close the contract. Upwork does not adjudicate feedback from clients or restrict when clients close contracts.

yes, i came from absurd  57%  at the start to top rated in 2022. Hard is to keep it when starting, and already figuring out how to handle the negotiation phase.

thanks for the reply. ❤️
I don't know how the responsing time is calculated, I literally replied all my clients immediately

Weiling X wrote:

thanks for the reply. ❤️
I don't know how the responsing time is calculated, I literally replied all my clients immediately

The response time, to my understanding, is calculated based on how quickly you respond to invitations, not clients. When you receive an invitation to interview for a project, Upwork looks for a 24 hour or less response time.

thanks for telling me about it.

now i know

I never had a look at invitations.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths