🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client fooling freelancers !!!
Page options
bhrt95
Community Member

Client fooling freelancers !!!

Dear All, 

I have started my journey on upwork recently. I got an invitation from Mr. Manny a client from london for a work.

He invited me for a job for $5 mentioning that "this job is for evaluation" and other  things like "good for new freelancers", "long term client" etc. I did few part of project and told him franky I have showed you my efficiency for such project now give me a surety of future projects or hourly basis contract. He refused and our big $5 project (haha) ended. 

I observed his profile and found that he is doing same thing with all.

!!! 488 jobs with 702 hires with cost $2,011 only. Average $4.12 per job. !!!

Please be aware of such clients. 

**Edited for community guidelines**

17 REPLIES 17
yitwail
Community Member

Bharat, he has a right to hire new freelancers for $5 because no one made those freelancers work for him, and they mostly gave him good reviews. For new freelancers who can’t get their first job any other way, clients like “Manny” are useful. He would probably even hire the same freelancer more than once, as long as it's for $5.

ETA: my first oDesk client was very cheap, but did give me 5 star feedback. He would also insist on reviewing each job I completed for 1 week, even though the job was so small he could check it in 10 minutes. But I kept working for this man, until I had enough work history so clients who pay better were willing to hire me. After that, he would keep inviting me for jobs, and I declined each time.

Every client show his work history. He has disabled that, I think. I am not sure on this but I think yes. Normally, when we click on proposal then it shows history of each projects on that page. Mr. Manny has disabled that. 

I believed him earlier and did 3-4 hour of work to show him my efficiency for given work. I didn't do the remaining 4 hour work, because I discussed this with him. Why should a new freelancer should work for hours and hour for his fake promise.

When I asked him can you explain your no. jobs and money and hiring. $4.12 per job. If he is giving future job to freelancers then in future again he is giving $5 or lesser work. Problem is not with amount. Problem is in the way he is doing. It may leads to a scam. 

Bharat S wrote:

Every client show his work history. He has disabled that, I think. I am not sure on this but I think yes. Normally, when we click on proposal then it shows history of each projects on that page. Mr. Manny has disabled that. 

I believed him earlier and did 3-4 hour of work to show him my efficiency for given work. I didn't do the remaining 4 hour work, because I discussed this with him. Why should a new freelancer should work for hours and hour for his fake promise.

When I asked him can you explain your no. jobs and money and hiring. $4.12 per job. If he is giving future job to freelancers then in future again he is giving $5 or lesser work. Problem is not with amount. Problem is in the way he is doing. It may leads to a scam. 

He can only continue doing this because freelancers like you play along. The exact same information you are claiming proves him to be a bad client was available to you before you took the job. Did you not evaluate his profile before accepting?

wlyonsatl
Community Member

The more a client mentions there wll be lots of future work for "the right freelancer," the less likely there actually is going to be future work worth doing.

Work now for what you're getting paid now. Promises don't pay the bills.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "488 jobs with 702 hires with cost $2,011 only. Average $4.12 per job."

This client has spent $2,011 on Upwork.

Upwork has earned real money from his jobs.

How much money have YOU spent on Upwork as a client?

I am here to get work not give work. I am freelancer and not a client.

re: "It may leads to a scam."

This will NOT lead to him scamming you.

Because you are not going to fall for any kind of scam that he might try to do.

It can't be a scam until the client is paying. No matters what is the amount.
He hires for $5 and pays it.
So, it’s totally fine.
kat303
Community Member

Bharat S wrote:

I am here to get work not give work. I am freelancer and not a client.

------------------------

This is a web site which attracts both clients and freelancers from all over the world. Some of us live where the cost of living is high and some of us live where the cost of living is low.

Having said that, this client is NOT scamming anyone. He is telling you in the job description that he will pay you $5. You had the opportunity to look at this clients hiring history as well as everyone else who submitted a proposal. No one forced you to apply for the job, as no one forced other freelancers. The client's budget is $5. and there are a lot of freelancers who are more then willing to work for that amount. 

As for promises of future work, well, promises don't pay bills. money does. If you are ok with $5 great. IF you get more work from this client Great. if not, that's ok because you shouldn't have been expecting it (even though it was stated in the job description.) 

What I really didn't like was that you kind of demanded more work and wanted him to explain the past jobs and past payments. Those figures and information are available. You don't need the client to explain it to you. IMO you came across as pushy and demanding. 

In the future, before submitting a proposal, read the clients hiring history and payment. Be satisfied with the budget amount, and do not explect future work. Otherwise, move on and look for jobs that fit what you are expecting to be paid. 

mohitevatsal
Community Member

Hi,

Can a client having a great amount ($40k) spent on their profile, be fraud? Can clients show fake amount spent on their profile? I have got hired by a client having Upwork plus batch and with high amount on money spent with High number of hires. Could this client be a fraud? His money spent is showing in crores!!

re: "Can a client having a great amount ($40k) spent on their profile, be fraud?"

Possible. But unlikely.

re: "Can clients show fake amount spent on their profile?"

No.

re: "I have got hired by a client having Upwork plus batch and with high amount on money spent with High number of hires. Could this client be a fraud?"

Possible, but unlikely.

So here is the thing: You can't just ask if someone could be a fraud but not tell us why you think he might be a fraud.

Is there something he is doing specifically that makes you wonder if he is fraudulent?

Vatsal S wrote:
Hi,

Can a client having a great amount ($40k) spent on their profile, be fraud? Can clients show fake amount spent on their profile? I have got hired by a client having Upwork plus batch and with high amount on money spent with High number of hires. Could this client be a fraud? His money spent is showing in crores!!

What kind of fraud? Scamming you out or your money, not paying you, or using your work for fraudulent activities? You need to be more specific. 

But, as I contemplate this, the answer to all 3 is: I don't know. 

37f15cb6
Community Member

Your message ended the hope I had for about 5 months now. You will rather be proud of yourself that you were smart enough to understand he was fooling you, i didnt. I kept tracking him, asking him payment for 1.5 months of work where i received only 5$ so far. He kept on delaying and used covid as an excuse. Today, when he messaged and asked for another job, i googled about him and found you. I am disheartened as well as angry at my stupidity. Though again, he was my first assignment and this mistake gave me 2 more jobs. But that doesnt mean i should forget the labor of 4hr per day for 1.5 months.
I request upwork to please look into the man, because i can no longer trust people here.
And thanks man, for writing this post and saving me from another mistake!!

Which man are you taking about??? You haven't mentioned anyone.
msdnsditlabs
Community Member

I have faced the same problem and **Edited for Community Guidelines** doesn't want to pay anything after completing the project and after investing lots of time.

Why is @upwork not blocked or remove such clients from the system?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Mayank:

You are complaining that a client didn't pay you money that you feel you are owed.

if the client is able to NOT PAY you, then it means that you (the freelancer) made a mistake in how you used the Upwork tools.

What we need to do is figure out what YOU did wrong.

Not complain about the client.

You don't have control over what clients do.

But you can control what YOU can do.

So let's figure out how you can do this the right way, so you don't have a problem like this next time.

If you answer questions, we can help you figure out what you did wrong.

Was this an hourly or fixed-price contract?

Hi Mayank

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it looks like you already submitted your work. Once you submit work and request payment, the client will have 14 days to review it and either approve or request changes. If they take no action in 14 days, the funds in Escrow will be released to you. You may read more about Fixed-Price Protection here.

Additionally, it seems that you already created a support ticket regarding your concern. Please allow more time for our team to review your case and respond accordingly to your ticket. You will be notified of their response.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths