Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client has no access to upwork until access is restored

Highlighted
Sylvia M Member Since: Feb 11, 2017
1 of 5

Hi,

Am fairly new to upwork.  I applied for work and the client reviewed my proposal. Asked for a test article via upworkgmail.com editor. is this a valid gmail account for upwork?

When i inquired  what the word count was and whether it was a paid test article i got no direct response.

I was requested to write a 800 word article which i found to be odd. I expected something under 100 words since no feedback was given whether it was a paid article. None the less i submitted the article. 

Now the client has no access to upwork until access is restored.

What does this mean?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 5

Free tests are prohibited by the Terms of Service, just so you know in the future.

It sounds like the client's account has been suspended, maybe for asking for a free test.  Nothing you can do about it now.  In the future, be sure that the client's payment has been verified and don't do free tests.

Learn from the experience and move on.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 5

Adding to what Mary says, if you do not get paid for the sample you provided, you own the work, so you can use it as a portfolio piece and/or sell it on. You can also ask for a DMCA if you see it published (without your permission) on the Internet.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 5

"upworkgmail.com"

LOL

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 5

re : "Am fairly new to upwork. I applied for work and the client reviewed my proposal. Asked for a test article via upworkgmail.com editor. is this a valid gmail account for upwork?"

No.

This "client" is a scammer who is trying to trick you.

Excuse me. I mean she already DID trick you.

She tricked you into doing free work for her. She was never intending to pay you anything or hire you for a larger project. You can report her of you want to, but the important thing is for you to learn from the mistakes you made, and not make those same mistakes again.

Because you were not paid, you own the rights to the piece that you wrote, and you may include it in your portfolio if you want to.