🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client is asking for a physical address
Page options
9b2b0b36
Community Member

Client is asking for a physical address

Hi,

I have a client requesting for a physical address as part of the job. The job description says they will send me a postcard with a code and I have to send them a photo of the code to receive final payment. I already completed part of the work, which was to send them photos of local hot spots in my area, but I'll need to provide a physical address for the postcard to complete the assignment. I'm a little concerned because I work from home and would have to send them my home address. Is this client's request for a physical address normal?

4 REPLIES 4
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lea, 

I'm glad that you came here to ask about this job. This is a scam I've seen before where businesses use a different address to verify their business on a map service such as Google Maps. Please refrain from communicating with this client moving forward.

In the future, please flag suspicious activity by following the steps here. It would be best if you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, and this article for more information about working safely through Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork
75f7010a
Community Member

Thank you for your alarming sound. 

fe655511
Community Member

I just got suckered into a postcard one too, and I'm extremely frustrated with myself. Times have been lean to say the least, and unfortunately I've already given them my address *hard facepalm*. The 'client' has work history and five star reviews, as well as a verified payment method, all things I erroneously interpreted as proof they were doing something above-board. I obviously ended the contract and told them not to use my address, although the postcard could already be in the mail for all I know. Should I just destroy it if it comes? 

Hi Marissa,

I highly encourage you to check out the helpful articles that Avery shared in this thread to learn more about how you can avoid questionable jobs and also, on how you can flag these types of jobs so our team can review and take appropriate actions. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths