Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Client is asking for my email

Highlighted
Muhammad Umer F Member Since: May 10, 2017
1 of 5

Hi,

A client is asking for my email address to send some files. I told the client that I am not sure about sharing personal details and that the files can be shared by dropbox or as attachments in the message.

The client has already started a contract and I have already completed a milestone and got paid. The first milestone was a test to check the quality of my work. Now the client wants to send more files and thats why asking for email.

Kindly guide me as this is allowed or not? I checked that the client has a good rating and jas already spent a large amount throug upwork platform.

An anwer from a moderator would be really helpful.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 5

You already have a contract in place, you can share your email. You can communicate by whichever channels you want just never accept payment off platform and never start working without a contract. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Craig A Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
3 of 5

You are free to comunicate with your client any way that you (or the client) wish.

As long as all payments are conducted through Upwork, there is no problem.

Personally, I find email a little more reliable than the Upwork mesaging system. If you have any concerns, you could set up an email account just for communicating with clients.

If you already have a contract with the client, and have completed some milestones, I don't see a problem using email.

Of course, this is only my opinion Smiley Happy

EDIT: Katrina beat me to it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 5

Go for it!

I have no worries at all about sharing a personal email address with real clients who are actually paying me money.

Muhammad Umer F Member Since: May 10, 2017
5 of 5

Thank you all for clearing this up.