🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client is sending me check to purchase equipm...
Page options
jacqueline_masek
Community Member

Client is sending me check to purchase equipment to do job - is that OK?

I was accepted for this job: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

They wanted me to discuss it via Skype. No biggie. They offered me the job via a PDF. This is supposedly a major corporation, yet the PDF was not on letterhead. The corp address and name are at the bottom but it's very generic. 

Then he's going to send me a check, presumably so I can go buy the equipment (laptop, etc.). That's just odd. Why wouldn't they send me one already set to go? I've had that happen before with outside clients. 

OR, am I just being paranoid? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is a scam.

re: "Client is sending me check to purchase equipment to do job - is that OK?"

It is a very serious violation of Upwork ToS for you to agree to receive money outside of the platform. To receive a check or any other form of non-Upwork payment is grounds for having your account terminated. Freelancers have had their accounts suspended simply for discussing doing this.

Also: The check the "client" plans to send you isn't even a real check. It is a fake check. The "client" is actually a scammer who plans to steal between $2000 and $3000 from your checking acount, using this fake check.

re: "I was accepted for this job:"

No. You were not accepted for any job. There is no job. There is just a scam. And if you look here:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

...I don't think you will actually see a job contract listed there.
If there is no contract listed there, then you have NOT actually been accepted for a job.

re: "They wanted me to discuss it via Skype. No biggie."

It IS a "biggie."

It is a violation of Upwork ToS for you to communicate via Skype with any Upwork client before having an actual official Upwork in place. You could be suspended for doing this.

re: "They offered me the job via a PDF."

Job offers on Upwork are NOT offered via PDF.

re: "This is supposedly a major corporation, yet the PDF was not on letterhead."

This is NOT a major corporation. This is a scammer who copied the name of a major corporation from the Internet and fed that name to you. You Googled the name, which is what the scammer wanted you to do. I never Google client names or company names. Scammers WANT you to Google the names that they give you. That is part of the scam.

It is GOOD that you went through this experience without actually losing any money. Lots of newbie freelancers lose a lot of money to these scammers. But you did not. You were wiser than many. You have learned valuable lessons from this experience, and you will not make these same mistakes again.

Based on my experience reading about the experiences of other newbies who encountered scammers, Upwork will NOT penalize you in any way this time. Obviously if you continued to make the same mistakes, you could face sanction.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is a scam.

re: "Client is sending me check to purchase equipment to do job - is that OK?"

It is a very serious violation of Upwork ToS for you to agree to receive money outside of the platform. To receive a check or any other form of non-Upwork payment is grounds for having your account terminated. Freelancers have had their accounts suspended simply for discussing doing this.

Also: The check the "client" plans to send you isn't even a real check. It is a fake check. The "client" is actually a scammer who plans to steal between $2000 and $3000 from your checking acount, using this fake check.

re: "I was accepted for this job:"

No. You were not accepted for any job. There is no job. There is just a scam. And if you look here:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

...I don't think you will actually see a job contract listed there.
If there is no contract listed there, then you have NOT actually been accepted for a job.

re: "They wanted me to discuss it via Skype. No biggie."

It IS a "biggie."

It is a violation of Upwork ToS for you to communicate via Skype with any Upwork client before having an actual official Upwork in place. You could be suspended for doing this.

re: "They offered me the job via a PDF."

Job offers on Upwork are NOT offered via PDF.

re: "This is supposedly a major corporation, yet the PDF was not on letterhead."

This is NOT a major corporation. This is a scammer who copied the name of a major corporation from the Internet and fed that name to you. You Googled the name, which is what the scammer wanted you to do. I never Google client names or company names. Scammers WANT you to Google the names that they give you. That is part of the scam.

It is GOOD that you went through this experience without actually losing any money. Lots of newbie freelancers lose a lot of money to these scammers. But you did not. You were wiser than many. You have learned valuable lessons from this experience, and you will not make these same mistakes again.

Based on my experience reading about the experiences of other newbies who encountered scammers, Upwork will NOT penalize you in any way this time. Obviously if you continued to make the same mistakes, you could face sanction.

Welllll.... Piffle. Thank you for your answers. I just opened an account yesterday so am very new at this. That's why I was so excited to hear back. I did all you suggested. Back to the drawing board. 

Don't worry you will learn quickly! 
If you have any confusion or any doubt in anything you can write here. We all are here to help each other. We can learn from each other a lot. 🙂 Cheers

I am new to Upwork also and have had the same experience approx. four times now.  I am so glad you asked this question as I received a check, but attempted phoning my banking institutions to verify it's authencity and I have not been able to do so. I have questioned if these were scammers, but being new to Upwork wasn't sure if this is how many Clients work. These scammers make it seem so real.  I'm going to report the two that have currently made recent offers and one has sent a huge check!!

Thank you to the responders for the information provided.  I greatly appreciate it!!

Karen

Karen D wrote:

I am new to Upwork also and have had the same experience approx. four times now.  I am so glad you asked this question as I received a check, but attempted phoning my banking institutions to verify it's authencity and I have not been able to do so. I have questioned if these were scammers, but being new to Upwork wasn't sure if this is how many Clients work. These scammers make it seem so real.  I'm going to report the two that have currently made recent offers and one has sent a huge check!!

Karen, it's a serious violation for you to accept cheques from clients, even if they're not scammers. The client needs to send you an official offer through Upwork and can only pay you through Upwork - NEVER by cheque. You were also going against the terms of service by agreeing to an interview with this client and by giving them your contact information prior to being hired. The fact that this has happened to you four times suggests that you're not learning from your mistakes. You need to read more about how this website actually works, or you're going to end up getting your account banned. https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067578-Getting-Started

Hey all, 

I am new to Upwork and the exact same thing happened to me. A job pretending to be a legit company based on Texas. Healthpointe Solitions offered me a job then had me reach out on Skype only to feed me information message by message. They said after I scanned the signed offer letter they asked if I had a mac book pro and printed. I said yes. They said that's great but you will need one with their software and not work from your personal computer and said "do you understand?" It made sense at first until they shared how they would go about this. They said they would contact their billing department and right a check for 2,000 via email PDF! To mobile deposit into my account. Within hours I felt something was off. I called and went to my bank, they put the check on hold, but it's been 5-7 business days and now this check seems to have cleared?! I am so confused. I talked to customer service with upwork and they helped guide me and agreed it sounded like a scam.

can anyone tell me how they send you a check just to then steal your Money? I didn't give them any personal info or banking information. 

Thanks 

First of all, you can only communicate with a potential client through Upwork.  Connecting through any other method is against the Terms of Service.

Second, the check is fake and will eventually bounce, leaving you holding the bag.  Receiving funds from a potential client (or real client, for that matter) except through Upwork is also a clear violation of the terms of service.

Think about it.  Would a stranger send another stranger a check for $2,000?

What should i do? so far the job has been taken off upwork and all communication has been on skype. I’m unsure what to tell them and how to handle this

This is happening to me right now.

Hi Olivia,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I’ve checked and the project has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Make sure to check our Stay Safe series and learn more on how to work safe online:

If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

~ Bojan
Upwork
9cb098af
Community Member

That project may have been taken down but they came back under a different name and are doing the same thing. I nearly fell for it.

It's multiple scammers using the same or similar script. It's a very old scam, probably pre-internet. 

Olivia S wrote:
What should i do? so far the job has been taken off upwork and all communication has been on skype. I’m unsure what to tell them and how to handle this

You don't owe them any explanation - they're scammers who are trying to steal money from you. Just block them. Next time, don't tell a potential client how to contact you outside of Upwork until you have a contract, because it's against the terms of service and your account could be suspended.

This just happened to me, I didn't believe this person, especially right after they send me a check ...crazy!!!

alysegoody
Community Member

End the contract if you haven't already. This is a scam, also they shouldn't be sending you any payment outside of Upwork. Close the contract and block. 

avirockx007
Community Member

That's a scam clearly & something that goes against the Upwork TOS. Immediately terminate your contract with that foolish scamming client if you are currently working with him/her.

DO NOT WAIT!

Jacqueline: Don't take it personally. This is a very common way to start out on Upwork.

Awais N wrote:

That's a scam clearly & something that goes against the Upwork TOS. Immediately terminate your contract with that foolish scamming client if you are currently working with him/her.

DO NOT WAIT!

She was never hired, she just thought she was because they said so. Scammers never hire. 

Woaps! I just forgot about that... 🙂 Silly me.

Awais N wrote:

Why is it newbies don't even bother reading the TOS? 

For the exact same reason people don't read the TOS on ANYTHING! It's mostly legalese gobbledegook that basically says the company owns you or your first born if you copy the program. What would be nice would be a roadmap saying this is how a job offer works, the steps the hirer goes through, the steps the worker goes through, and what Upwork does. 

Jacqueline M wrote:

For the exact same reason people don't read the TOS on ANYTHING! It's mostly legalese gobbledegook that basically says the company owns you or your first born if you copy the program. What would be nice would be a roadmap saying this is how a job offer works, the steps the hirer goes through, the steps the worker goes through, and what Upwork does. 

Well, no, that is not what the UW ToS says. And if you consult the Help & Support section of the site you will find information about how a job offer works, the steps to go through, and UW's role in the engagement. You will learn about the types of contracts you can use here, how to set them up, how to deliver work, how to get paid. The support material is not award-winning but any questions you have can be answered by browsing old threads in this forum and/or posing your questions here. If you take your work seriously enough to spend the requisite time to learn the platform before leaping in and creating problems for yourself and/or a client "because you're new", then you'll find practical help and encouragement here. If you blow off the homework and opt to blunder in with the idea of learning as you go, you'll very likely waste your own time (which equals money, of course) and that of one or more clients, and possibly hamstring yourself by getting off to a bad start in terms of your UW job history. UW isn't an app you can figure out by using it. 

Jacqueline M wrote:

English is not my language and I found it difficult to understand some things about TOS.
But, before starting to do anything on the portal, I patiently translated the texts and what I did not understand I looked for in the forums or asked CS.

BEFORE you start doing anything here, read the TOS and ask and ask and ...
I can't understand that there are people who jump into working on a portal without knowing the basics of how to do it.
But, if we have seen people asking how it is charged!

And it will continue to be like that (maddening) as long as there are people who think like you, that TOS are a lot of words.

And as @Phyllis G told you, there is a how-to guide in the help. And videos in "New to Upwork" and many people here willing to help.

I am certain that the overwhelming majority of Upwork users never read the ToS.

I believe SOME Upwork users read the other help documents that are provided.

I believe most new Upwork clients and freelancers pretty much just jump in and start using the tools

I don't think this is any different than how people use most websites.

Is this "ideal"? Maybe not. But I can't think of any way to change this. From what I read in the Forum, I think most Upwork freelancers are willing to "roll with the punches" and "take their lumps" when they make mistakes and end up with a few virtual scrapes and bruises. Overall, I think it is actually clients who get more upset about some of the situations they encounter due to using a platform they don't really understand. I feel worse about their situations, because I regard them more as "customers" of the Upwork platform.

If I'm putting payment information into a website where I am entering into contracts with clients, you better darn believe I'm reading up on it before using. This whole "I'm new to business so I don't read contracts" crap is ridiculous.

Preston H wrote:

I believe most new Upwork clients and freelancers pretty much just jump in and start using the tools

Is this "ideal"? Maybe not. But I can't think of any way to change this. From what I read in the Forum, I think most Upwork freelancers are willing to "roll with the punches" and "take their lumps" when they make mistakes and end up with a few virtual scrapes and bruises. Overall, I think it is actually clients who get more upset about some of the situations they encounter due to using a platform they don't really understand. I feel worse about their situations, because I regard them more as "customers" of the Upwork platform.

I am equally certain that the overwhelming majority of FLs who take seriously their obligations as professionals and business owners -- obligations to their clients and to themselves -- do at least scan the ToS sufficient to understand UW's business model and fundamental policies; and familiarize themselves with the information available in Help & Support and in the forum, to begin working responsibly and safely on the platform.

And I'd bet dollars to doughnuts the vast majority of problems that occur on the platform requiring CS intervention stem from the FL, client or both not bothering to learn and understand how to do things here before plunging in.

Phyllis G wrote:

Preston H wrote:

I am equally certain that the overwhelming majority of FLs who take seriously their obligations as professionals and business owners -- obligations to their clients and to themselves -- do at least scan the ToS sufficient to understand UW's business model and fundamental policies; and familiarize themselves with the information available in Help & Support and in the forum, to begin working responsibly and safely on the platform.

And I'd bet dollars to doughnuts the vast majority of problems that occur on the platform requiring CS intervention stem from the FL, client or both not bothering to learn and understand how to do things here before plunging in.

And the vast majority are probably not earning very much money, which means OUR fees pay for their CS. 

Jacqueline M wrote:

Yes, but this ain't netflix. There are real life consequences when things go wrong. 

What you are looking for is pinned on top of this thread, so happy reading!

mtngigi
Community Member

Amanda L wrote:

Awais N wrote:

That's the $64K question (only old people will get that reference). I can't imagine coming to a site like Upwork and not taking at least a little time to learn the basics before bidding on jobs. And who doesn't know about forums and the wealth of information they contain?

It has been suggested many times over that it would be a simple thing for Upwork to create some sort of message or a pop-up to occur when someone sets up a new profile. This would direct them to at least the basics, as well as info about scammers. But I have a theory that one reason U doesn't do that is because it's a way to identify people who might abuse the system (when they come crying, which invariably happens) and haven't taken the time to figure out how things work here.

Virginia F wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

Awais N wrote:

That's the $64K question (only old people will get that reference). I can't imagine coming to a site like Upwork and not taking at least a little time to learn the basics before bidding on jobs. And who doesn't know about forums and the wealth of information they contain?

It has been suggested many times over that it would be a simple thing for Upwork to create some sort of message or a pop-up to occur when someone sets up a new profile. This would direct them to at least the basics, as well as info about scammers. But I have a theory that one reason U doesn't do that is because it's a way to identify people who might abuse the system (when they come crying, which invariably happens) and haven't taken the time to figure out how things work here.

Virginia F wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

Awais N wrote:

But people ignore the pop-ups too, otherwise nobody would come crying that they don't get paid for manual hours asking what they should do now in the forum. . 

If only Upwork had a "real" readiness test that would have to taken and passed before profile approval.  Something that includes all the stuff like the above thread, stuff that we see endlessly repeated in the forums (fora? forae?).  Just think - a test with questions about scams, about how payment works, how a contract works and all the rest that gets newbies (and older FLs, too) up to their necks in problems.

Several freelancers who write tests for a living - and me, who doesn't - have offered to do this for review by Upwork.  No response.

Mary W wrote:

If only Upwork had a "real" readiness test that would have to taken and passed before profile approval.  Something that includes all the stuff like the above thread, stuff that we see endlessly repeated in the forums (fora? forae?).  Just think - a test with questions about scams, about how payment works, how a contract works and all the rest that gets newbies (and older FLs, too) up to their necks in problems.

Several freelancers who write tests for a living - and me, who doesn't - have offered to do this for review by Upwork.  No response.

To the OP, it's not you. It's just over and over again people come in with these problems and we're tired of seeing how much money Upwork wastes on dealing with these issues when they are preventable issues - like as Mary suggests, with a real readiness test before you can apply for jobs. 

Amanda - I totally agree.  I'm not going after the OP.  It's just so frustrating to read over and over that FLs are getting scammed by the same old scams because they just don't know.  It's not stupidity at all.  It's lack of a foundation of knowledge about the platform and freelancing in general.

Mary W wrote:

Amanda - I totally agree.  I'm not going after the OP.  It's just so frustrating to read over and over that FLs are getting scammed by the same old scams because they just don't know.  It's not stupidity at all.  It's lack of a foundation of knowledge about the platform and freelancing in general.

Hi Mary, I wasn't intending to suggest you were; I was just riding on your coattails. 🙂 I do think it's naivety though, even willful naivety. People jump into it without considering at all any implications - they don't even read the How-Tos or TOS! Ignorance really isn't an excuse, and there are plenty of freelancers who do read the basic information and know what they are allowed and not allowed to do, and how to protect themselves. However, at this stage, we know it's an issue, so Upwork really should create a real readiness test that is required before they can start applying for jobs that assures they at least know the very basics (especially the most common TOS violations that put them in danger). In a way it's almost negligence. 

pgiambalvo
Community Member

No. It's a scam.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths