cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client not following upwork rules.

Community Leader
Lester B Member Since: Sep 22, 2018
1 of 33

What to do if your long term client offer to change time tracker to different platform and do hourly payment outside of upwork?

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 33

Hi Lester,

Please share the contract ID or your client name with me via PM(click on my name) and our team will investigate it further and proper actions will be taken. Thank you.

Untitled
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 33

Lester B wrote:

What to do if your long term client offer to change time tracker to different platform and do hourly payment outside of upwork?

1) Tell the client that you appreciate working with them, and will be happy to continue to work with them through Upwork as per your contract.

2) Do NOT post about it on a public forum, where anyone including your client can see it.

3) If you want to report the client (which essentially you have already done) for a serious policy violation, do so AFTER the contract ended and you got feedback.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 33

lol I love these threads. Freelancer just has to tell the client "no" and keep earning $$$. Instead they alert Upwork where the client is gonna get hate mail, get pissed, fire freelancer and leave private feedback. On the off chance Upwork peraban hammers the client and the bad score doesn't count on his JSS, he's just lost long-term income.

It's so hilarious.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
5 of 33

Jennifer M wrote:

lol I love these threads. Freelancer just has to tell the client "no" and keep earning $$$. Instead they alert Upwork where the client is gonna get hate mail, get pissed, fire freelancer and leave private feedback. On the off chance Upwork peraban hammers the client and the bad score doesn't count on his JSS, he's just lost long-term income.

It's so hilarious.

Can't be THAT long-term since his first client is from 11/2018...

Community Guru
6 of 33

Martina P wrote:

Can't be THAT long-term since his first client is from 11/2018...

Well, idk he said long-term so I was going off of his post. I didn't look at his profile, but even if it's only a few months, he's just shot himself in the foot over something as dumb as just telling the dude "nah, I gotta bill through Upwork for two years."

Ace Contributor
Paul S Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 33

I have seen alot of abusive clients here posting jobs paying peanuts and even on initial interviews trying to get outside of the platform, Exposing these people is not a bad thing, ill gladly sacrifice my job to expose people who want something for basically nothing.

We are apart of the upwork system and this system helps us survive, we need to protect it and help it succeed and personally i feel we need to remove the abusive clients altogether, its outragous how people even offer $5 for a job that takes hours to complete and they still want more. expose them all and get rid of them.

Community Guru
8 of 33

Paul S wrote:

I have seen alot of abusive clients here posting jobs paying peanuts and even on initial interviews trying to get outside of the platform, Exposing these people is not a bad thing, ill gladly sacrifice my job to expose people who want something for basically nothing.

We are apart of the upwork system and this system helps us survive, we need to protect it and help it succeed and personally i feel we need to remove the abusive clients altogether, its outragous how people even offer $5 for a job that takes hours to complete and they still want more. expose them all and get rid of them.

ProTip: reporting someone and forcing Upwork's banhammer hand is NOT what they want if you can just say "no" and get them to pay on the platform. I know it's amazing and suprising but like anything that makes us all money is the right answer.

Ace Contributor
Paul S Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
9 of 33

the only reason a client wants to go outside upwork is to avoid the fees, its a double edge sword, yes you might get a little extra cash (or not) yes your client will be happier employing you but you risk loosing the platforms support and risk loosing the ability to get work through the platform altogether.

If its just communicating through another platform then ok its reasonable, people have preferences but to go outside of the platform for logging your hours....... i have done that before but it with a regular client and with a fixed payment arrangement, not an hourly one.

i recommend asking why he wants this and make a judgment call. you obviously have to change your contract to a fixed payment if you go outside upwork so you will loose some security. Im pretty sure thats not against policy.

Community Guru
10 of 33

Paul S wrote:

the only reason a client wants to go outside upwork is to avoid the fees, its a double edge sword, yes you might get a little extra cash (or not) yes your client will be happier employing you but you risk loosing the platforms support and risk loosing the ability to get work through the platform altogether.

If its just communicating through another platform then ok its reasonable, people have preferences but to go outside of the platform for logging your hours....... i have done that before but it with a regular client and with a fixed payment arrangement, not an hourly one.

i recommend asking why he wants this and make a judgment call. you obviously have to change your contract to a fixed payment if you go outside upwork so you will loose some security. Im pretty sure thats not against policy.

Terrble advice. Your last paragraph sounds like you're not sure if going outside of Upwork is against the rules. It is, sweaty, for godsakes this isn't rocket science.  Upwork makes money through payments. Of course anything that takes away payment on the platform is against their ToS. Like, duh.

And here is a hot take from your first paragraph. The 2% fees don't mean anything to some people. Some clients aren't doing it to get out of some low rent fee. They think they are doing you a favor or they just don't want to deal with Upwork, don't trust them, whatever their reason. It's not always nefarious. All you gotta do is just say "nah, I gotta stay on upwork." And tbh, I have no problem saying it because I like the hourly billing that I don't have to deal with. Their hourly billing makes things easy for me, so in all reality I personally would rather stay here.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS