🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Client not paying the full amount in my miles...
Page options
2233dfd2
Community Member

Client not paying the full amount in my milestone

Hello,

I joined upwork last fall to do freelance translation work and I started this project translating web novels. Back then, I translated one chapter every day. At the end of the month, the client asked ME to set up the milestone (I think this is where I went wrong) where I detailed how many chapters I did and the pay for each chapter according to our previously agreed-upon terms. The first few months, the client paid in full and everything was fine.

Then, he requested I increase my chapters to 2 per day and eventually to 3 or 4 each day. This was fine for me, as I had the time and it was more money. But when I submitted a milestone, he would lower the amount and promise to pay the rest back later and I should include the old debt in the coming milestones. I included the old debt in the new milestones (I spelled it all out in the description of the milestone) and he again lowered the amount, promising to pay me back later.

Well, I don't think that is going to happen and I put my foot down and said I wouldn't work until he paid me. But if he lowered the amount on the milestone, do I have any ground to stand on? I certainly do not care about continuing with this client anymore, but is there a way I can still get paid at least? Or maybe this is a completely normal way to go about freelance work and I'm just missing it entirely. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Megan H wrote:

I certainly do not care about continuing with this client anymore, but is there a way I can still get paid at least?

You should only start working after a milestone has been activated AND FULLY FUNDED.

Unless there is money in escrow (and it doesn't sound like there is) there is nothing you can do to force the client to pay.

You would, however, own all the chapters you did for that milestone and the client would not be able to publish the material.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Megan H wrote:

I certainly do not care about continuing with this client anymore, but is there a way I can still get paid at least?

You should only start working after a milestone has been activated AND FULLY FUNDED.

Unless there is money in escrow (and it doesn't sound like there is) there is nothing you can do to force the client to pay.

You would, however, own all the chapters you did for that milestone and the client would not be able to publish the material.

2233dfd2
Community Member

I've learned my lesson, I know what to do now. Thank you!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths