🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Client not satisfied: no payment-no feedb...
Page options
eleoz
Community Member

Client not satisfied: no payment-no feedback?

Hi everyone.

I am new on UpWork and slowly trying to build my reputation, I got a couple of jobs (hourly and a fixed-price one), but still no feedbacks, as both hourly contracts are going to be long-term collaborations and one of those hourly-price clients also gave me an extra job with a fixed-price contract which is still open, although the client already paid me.

Anyways, that’s not the point, so here’s the story.

Here comes the third client and I get a fixed-price contract. I deliver my work and client releases the payment.
All good, both of us happy and chasing butterflies.
He does’t close the contract and asks for an extra task instead, adding a milestone to the same contract. I deliver the extra task but client totally changes attitude and claims he’s being very upset with the job done and does’t want to continue our collaboration.

As I assume no milestone will be released this time, what should I expect?
A part of the contract was payed without any complaint and the other one seems to be a complete disaster. I am just not even raising the issue “I am right, he is wrong”, that’s the typical case in which you wish you could just swipe this thing under the rug.

But what about the feedback? I’m going nuts thinking that my very first feedback could be a negative one.
Is there any no payment-no feedback rule I am unaware of, that would just stop me feeling so let down?
Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
JoanneP

Hi Eleonora,

You may discuss this with your client and ask them politely how you can help them. You can offer to make the necessary changes if they like. Clients have the option to request changes before they release a milestone. It is always best to try resolving the issue amicably. This way, you can settle any misunderstandings, and of course, this can also help you have a more positive contract outcome.

~ Joanne
Upwork
eleoz
Community Member

Hi Joanne,

thanks for your help.

We already passed that level, that is to say, despite all changes and work re-submission, client is still not satisfied.
We got to the point where there’s no turning back. Client made it clear he didn’t want to keep up with the collaboration, and I had to accept the fact that being diplomatic or submit new changes would just not make any difference.

Should I close the contract by myself, should I wait for him to make a move...

Thanks!
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Eleonora,

Unfortunately we can't advise what action/steps to take. Feel free to take the actions that you think are the best at the moment. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

thanks for your reply, I will for sure handle this matter following a sort of "my job, my buisness" rule, but what I am actually asking for, is an advice on how to properly end this contract. 

Being new on this platform, I still don't know whether closing a contract in which a milestone was released without any issue and another milestone is pending (and I submitted my work to get paid) will result in a full refund of both milestones or will just delete the pending milestone.

I know the feedback issue is something totally arbitrary, I could get a bad review or I could get no rewiew or whatsoever, but I was wondering if taking action and decide to close the contract will somehow reduce the negative impacti this unpleasant situation will have on my profile.

Thank you.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thank you for following up with additional details, Eleonora.

Closing the contract while your second milestone is still active will result in refunding the funds for the second milestone only. 

Once you`ve submitted your work on the milestone created after 14 days the funds will be transferred to your account if no actions are taken on the milestone. Keep in mind that if you resubmit the work again you will reset the 14 days period. To learn more details about fixed price protection, check out this Help Article.

To learn more about how this contract will affect your future Job Success Score check out this Guide.
If you have any additional questions, let me know. 

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths