🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Client online but not responding.
Page options
hadikallas
Community Member

Client online but not responding.

Hello,

I recently finished a job for a client (Fixed price), and send it to the client, but it has been 2 days and he did not answer. (Checking my work takes up to 15 min only)

The client is online, but was online but he did not respond. I have worked for 55 hours and 20 min on this job using the time tracker (3 hours only are manually added).

I would like to know what is the maximum time for the client to check my work, and what options do I have at the worst case scenario. (Payment in escrow)

Thank you in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I recently finished a job for a client (Fixed price), and send it to the client, but it has been 2 days and he did not answer."

A client is NOT required to answer. Ever.

A client has 14 days (not 2 days) to review your submission IF HE WANTS TO.

He doesn't have to review it ever if he doesn't want to.

Freelancers get paid AUTOMATICALLY if the client doesn't do anything.

re: "Checking my work takes up to 15 min only"

Clients have 14 days to review your submission. Not 15 minutes. Those are Upwork's rules for all fixed-price milestones, regardless of their size. If you are not comfortable with this, then you are not required to work on fixed-price contracts.

re: "The client is online, but was online but he did not respond."

You saw a dot somewhere. You do not know if the client is online or not.

I call these "stalker dots." The implication is that if you look at these dots, you are a "stalker." I am mostly just joking when I use that term. But the underlying message is that you should ignore those dots.

Even if a client TRULY is online (which you don't know) and even if a client is staring right at the screen that shows your message to him... the client still is not required to respond to you. Nor is the client required to review your work at any particular time. Nor is the client required to manually release payment. Even if the client is transported to another planet, and that planet has no Internet access, you will get paid.

re: "I have worked for 55 hours and 20 min on this job using the time tracker (3 hours only are manually added)."

If you are working using an hourly contract, you will be paid AUTOMATICALLY for your time, on the same time schedule as everybody else. It doesn't matter if a client reviews your work or not. A client reviewing your work has nothing to do with when you get paid for hourly contract work.

re: "I would like to know what is the maximum time for the client to check my work, and what options do I have at the worst case scenario. (Payment in escrow)"

Client has 14 days.

If the client does NOTHING ("worst case scenario") then you get paid ALL of the money in escrow AUTOMATICALLY, and you don't need to do any more work on the task. That is fine with me.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I recently finished a job for a client (Fixed price), and send it to the client, but it has been 2 days and he did not answer."

A client is NOT required to answer. Ever.

A client has 14 days (not 2 days) to review your submission IF HE WANTS TO.

He doesn't have to review it ever if he doesn't want to.

Freelancers get paid AUTOMATICALLY if the client doesn't do anything.

re: "Checking my work takes up to 15 min only"

Clients have 14 days to review your submission. Not 15 minutes. Those are Upwork's rules for all fixed-price milestones, regardless of their size. If you are not comfortable with this, then you are not required to work on fixed-price contracts.

re: "The client is online, but was online but he did not respond."

You saw a dot somewhere. You do not know if the client is online or not.

I call these "stalker dots." The implication is that if you look at these dots, you are a "stalker." I am mostly just joking when I use that term. But the underlying message is that you should ignore those dots.

Even if a client TRULY is online (which you don't know) and even if a client is staring right at the screen that shows your message to him... the client still is not required to respond to you. Nor is the client required to review your work at any particular time. Nor is the client required to manually release payment. Even if the client is transported to another planet, and that planet has no Internet access, you will get paid.

re: "I have worked for 55 hours and 20 min on this job using the time tracker (3 hours only are manually added)."

If you are working using an hourly contract, you will be paid AUTOMATICALLY for your time, on the same time schedule as everybody else. It doesn't matter if a client reviews your work or not. A client reviewing your work has nothing to do with when you get paid for hourly contract work.

re: "I would like to know what is the maximum time for the client to check my work, and what options do I have at the worst case scenario. (Payment in escrow)"

Client has 14 days.

If the client does NOTHING ("worst case scenario") then you get paid ALL of the money in escrow AUTOMATICALLY, and you don't need to do any more work on the task. That is fine with me.

Thank you for taking your time to detailed explanation. I am new to upwork, and yes you can say that that was "stalking" considering that I am not familiar with these situations. But now everything is clear.

Thanks again.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Just make sure that you click the green "Submit Work and Request Payment" button.

And only click that button ONCE. (If you click it again, then the 14-day countdown clock resets.)

re: "yes you can say that that was 'stalking' considering that I am not familiar with these situations"

I don't think you did anything "bad" by looking at the dots. I just think they mean absolutely nothing to me as a freelancer. As a freelancer, I can send a message to a client. The client can reply or not reply. The dot don't help me in any way.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths